How did you start?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLPlastering

Evening all.

I'm just starting out on my own in the plastering world. Been plastering since 2009, was at college for 3 years and now im ready to go out on my own and get the work, hoping for on site jobs as its work every day for a few weeks/months at a time was just wondering how old everyone was when they decided to go at it and how they went about it. Need as many tips and as much advice as possible. Passed my CSCS test on Monday. Hoping to get my van next week, have all my tools so im pretty much ready to go.

Thanks for any help :RpS_thumbup:

Advertise.
Social.media
This forum
Tell your friends.fsmily and the postman
Get a uniform./ high vis jacket signed up and wear them as much as you can (you'd be surprised how.many people have asked me about doing plastering purely on my high via jackets advert)

Sign your van up

Basically get the word out there be the most seen plasterer in your area.

Stick a sign on ya missus car. Ya dad's car ya mums car. Anyone who will let you.

My dad (seperate business to.me but both doing fibre worl) has my advertising all over his van. He wasn't bothered about advertising so I signed his van up for.me.

Sell all your tools, forget the van get smart car and a job in mc ds and have an easy life!
I dream of just saying do you want fries with that.....rather then why have you not paid the invoice yet, why you ignoring all my calls and no that's the price we agreed on

Sell all your tools, forget the van get smart car and a job in mc ds and have an easy life!
I dream of just saying do you want fries with that.....rather then why have you not paid the invoice yet, why you ignoring all my calls and no that's the price we agreed on

Ha, think I'll stick with the plastering mate!

you're bussiness will build up slowly to start with then with good recommendations should take off,, be wary about putting all your eggs in one basket

,, be wary about putting all your eggs in one basket
When I first started contracting in 1989 I had a general contractor that did a lot of remodeling projects that I like to specialize in. He used to keep me real busy but he expected me to put his outfit first all the time. There were other projects that I had the opportunity to bid on which might have been a lot more profitable, but I knew I better not take on because this other guy expected me to be there at his beckoning. I was always getting this "you gotta give me a low ball price because I give you all this work" and then I was continually having to grovel & beg for my check, I always got paid but I was always waiting forever for it to show up. In the mid 1990's we had a tech & housing boom in this area, people were getting great money for high end work around here & I decided to raise my prices to keep with the going rates. Other General Contractors had no problem with my new rates and I started taking on new accounts. I was in the middle of a high end plaster job for another contractor and I got a call from the guy that thinks he owns me and he wants me to walk off a month long job and do another cheap ass job for him, told him I couldn't. I got a flurry of calls from him & his superintendents telling me I have to jump on their job. I ended up telling them off and told them to take me off their sub list and don't call me about any more work. I wasn't too happy that it came down to that, but I really wasn't too happy not being able to earn what I thought I should be earning. Never did any work for them since. Now I get paid right away too.

Status
Not open for further replies.