How can this comply

Members online

hstoke

image.jpeg Went back to a refurb job the ground floor chimney Breast had been removed and these builders have put the steel in so the "floor boards " are now supporting the upstairs chimney breast and chimney as any else came across b4??

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] the steels should be under the floor boards so there hidden.
Now you'll have to cover the bits to the left of breast with some sort of shelving/boxing in.
If either end of the steels isn't sat on an Adequate wall then that's just utter filth and they need a slap. Dangerous isn't the word!

Never understand why people dont take the whole thing out. Stick a gallows bracket in the loft (like @zolco says) if they dont want to feck about with the external stack and roofing.That's feckin awful. I wouldn't work for builders capable of this kind of fuckwittery.

Gallow brackets can only be used in certain situations.
You can't use them if the neighbour already has them installed. If the brick work is poor it's also no good obviously.
These guys obviously had no clue what they were doing regardless by the look of it!

Never understand why people dont take the whole thing out. Stick a gallows bracket in the loft (like @zolco says) if they dont want to feck about with the external stack and roofing.That's feckin awful. I wouldn't work for builders capable of this kind of fuckwittery.
I duner work for them mate:) they r a pair of muppets u can actually move the steel one side just been filled with cement ,the steel isn't doing anything just lieing there ,probably Cus the chimney stack tied in thru out the height - it ain't moved yet :(

Reactions: Pug
:eek:Unreal ! beggars belief

I would have had no problem in ringing building control asking can you pop in please

You don't need me to tell you that's good old fashioned shite work by someone who either doesn't know or doesn't care.

The RSJ looks like it came out of a skip, and even on the span that's visible it's undersized. It's getting no support other than at either end as it's running parallel to the joists. So even if it's sat right on top of a joist it won't comply.

Any work on a chimney breast needs BC approval, and that hasn't got any.

The danger with chimneys isn't the weight bearing vertically, it's the likelyhood that it starts to lean and pull the dividing wall with it. Vibration is usually what makes them shift (doors slamming, traffic outside etc.). As @Jgreenplastering mentioned, a big part of what can or can't be done depends on what's on the other side of the wall.

You don't need me to tell you that's good old fashioned shite work by someone who either doesn't know or doesn't care.

The RSJ looks like it came out of a skip, and even on the span that's visible it's undersized. It's getting no support other than at either end as it's running parallel to the joists. So even if it's sat right on top of a joist it won't comply.

The danger with chimneys isn't the weight bearing vertically, it's the likelyhood that it starts to lean and pull the dividing wall with it. Vibration is usually what makes them shift (doors slamming, traffic outside etc.). As @Jgreenplastering mentioned, a big part of what can or can't be done depends on what's on the other side of the wall.

As always great answer :D

I swear you could give up on the tools completely and just run a consultancy firm offering good solid advice to people like myself who want to do right but need the knowledge and experience of someone like you to help guide them. You'd be worth your weight in gold, oil, diamonds, what ever it was.!

I swear you could give up on the tools completely and just run a consultancy firm offering good solid advice to people like myself who want to do right but need the knowledge and experience of someone like you to help guide them. You'd be worth your weight in gold, oil, diamonds, what ever it was.!

yup :D he is... now I need to widen the tpf doorr to get his out... lol :D

gallow brackets wouldve been better i think
Say posted this in September I've been back there odd time it's just about finished carpets down etc anyway the refurb (Owners)decided to have third party building inspector around to go through the house n so what I've heard is arse hit floor when he saw that n straightaway wants the floorboards up to see if joists been strengthened and now he wants gallows brackets fitted along with other measures b4 he isssues a building cert to council now the refurbers n builders are blaming each other lol pricks

Say posted this in September I've been back there odd time it's just about finished carpets down etc anyway the refurb (Owners)decided to have third party building inspector around to go through the house n so what I've heard is arse hit floor when he saw that n straightaway wants the floorboards up to see if joists been strengthened and now he wants gallows brackets fitted along with other measures b4 he isssues a building cert to council now the refurbers n builders are blaming each other lol pricks
That's a bit of a blow to the owner then

They should have sorted properly first time they went for the cheap job cutting corners n that's where it's led them ,see The house as been turned in to a HMO 6 bedrooms etc

They should have sorted properly first time they went for the cheap job cutting corners n that's where it's led them ,see The house as been turned in to a HMO 6 bedrooms etc
By the sound of it the owner is one of them developers who likes to keep their wallet close to their heart

Just heard some news on this property me mate waiting to see what would happen on the ground flooor room below the chimney breast as the third party guy had let the property knobs what needs correcting they had the council inspector round to see it all far as I know nothing had been corrected in any way the inspector has "flipping Passed " the property and basically let that go

Just heard some news on this property me mate waiting to see what would happen on the ground flooor room below the chimney breast as the third party guy had let the property knobs what needs correcting they had the council inspector round to see it all far as I know nothing had been corrected in any way the inspector has "flipping Passed " the property and basically let that go
Wow, that's a bit of a result

It's a mockery of whole bullshit way all council inspections are by certain officials
We had one come out this week to look at a footings, first he says ah that's great, it's good enough then turns around and says argh can you break the lot out and pour a new one 600*1200? I was like you just said it's fine.
He says I'll be back tomorrow to re inspect until then I take a photo of it. Ffs you couldn't make it up