how big is yours !!!!

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

charente

hi guys whats the best size for your finishing trowel,should you have more than one,and whats the best make?:confused:

Hi Charente, Ive tried a few but always go back to a galvy 14" Marshal town. Have recently started final rub with a refina plazziflex but they are not everyones cup of tea

I lay on with an 11", flatten with a 20" and finish with a 14". They are all MT. I suggest you use what you're comfortable with :)

I lay on with an 11", flatten with a 20" and finish with a 14". They are all MT. I suggest you use what you're comfortable with :)
:huh: think my labour would kick my head in if i did that :RpS_scared::RpS_lol: each to their own ,if it works for you , that,s what it is all about

do you guys use different trowels,for laying on etc then to the finishing trowels,in depth if possible(info)

Hi the most important thing to remember is that size is not important it is how you use it that matters.

That said if your a first timer i would just err on the side of caution and go for a smaller one until you get used to the feel of it, you can work your way up to a larger one if you feel you can manage it, the larger ones are tougher on the wrist and require a lot more experience.
Hope this helps

One trowel from start to finish but as previously said by others one for finishing plaster which is well worn in and one for backing coat plasters and renders.

i had a nice 14 trowl last year i was on a site on a scaffold when a loadall driver hit the scaff knocked the trowel to the ground and yes u guessed it drove over it that will ruin ur day

When i first started out i was given an old 11 inch no name trowel to practice on.I later settled on a marshal 14 ", but nothing touches that first trowel.It was super sharp, and broken in.

I found it difficult forgetting about that old trowel and getting used to something new.

When i first started out i was given an old 11 inch no name trowel to practice on.I later settled on a marshal 14 ", but nothing touches that first trowel.It was super sharp, and broken in.

I found it difficult forgetting about that old trowel and getting used to something new.
:RpS_crying:

I have 4 or 5 different trowels. An 11 for floating a 13 I have had forever for skimming a 18 for flattening and troweling up large walls/ceilings a 6 for small areas and around sockets etc.

what ever its takes. It's the finish that's important. As most have said mt are very popular I have a couple if Kraft trowels that I think are heavier than mt.

The make is up to you. Some posted a link to a thistle trowel earlier today. Asif I think.

i like to use the 13 mt as it has extra width to apply the material with, less mess. a mt 14 for finish. we do have a mt 24 inch trowel but we have never found a use for it.

Mine its a good straight 14".
Tbh i thought it was above average but it seems loads have a 14" one.
I like it cause i can get a good grip on it and finish the job quicker than with a small one.

Never heard of them any chance of a link :)

we purchased it from a canadian web site, £36.62p inclusive of postage to england, import tax was also included in the price.
go to amazon.com this puts you on the usa amazon site.code for trowel mxs24d. there are 2 trowels to choose from.
our trowel is the marshall town 24 x 5 premier line model number 13198.

Malc, since your son doesn't use his 24" trowel, why don't you offer to sell it to Flynnyman? :)

Malc, since your son doesn't use his 24" trowel, why don't you offer to sell it to Flynnyman? :)

he likes to have it leaning against the board and stand. to frighten off any other spreads that poke their head in where he is working!

Last edited:
diyer, i bought a 13 MT.

Believe me a decent trowel does make a difference, i was using a ragni or something then bought a MT and it was a lot easier to get a good finish.

I had a mt when I first started, this is know my roughing trowel. And use a spear and Jackson tyzach trowel 14" finishing. Several midget trowels, mt floor trowel, finger trowels, pipe trowels small tools etc different trowels for diffrant jobs.

14 MT gold for all plaster floating and finishing. Also use a 14 RST or EWI render. It was cheap in Stax and stainless. good enough for the job

14 mt, 11 mt, 24 mt, and various margin trowels midgets pipes etc..

had the 11 incher since i started but only really use the 14 as the 24 is a nightmare on the old wanking spanners

Status
Not open for further replies.