House Renovation

adamjnichols

Hi All,

I'm about to take on a renovation project and am hoping that people in the know might be able to point me in the right direction on a couple of points. I'd like to get it right. Learnt the hard way with the project just finished. We move in a couple of weeks so just lining up ducks.

1 - Almost every ceiling in the house has cracks along the boards. I understand that this is from movement of the boards so I think I have two options;
- Tape and joint
- Overboard
What's the professional take on this? I did some tape and joint (mesh) on a ceiling but the weather changed and some of the cracks reappeared. Am I better off overboarding as a long term solution?

2 - The house needs a central heating install. For aesthetics, I'd like to bury the pipework. I've seen some gaffer tape pipe or put it inside a plastic pipe and bury. Bonding + Skim. I've seen others channel, clip pipes in and then use plasterboard + skim. Usually the whole wall. I'm good with either to be honest but burying with bond and skim seem the more cost effective method. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

professional fun GIF by Zaxby's

Hi All,

I'm about to take on a renovation project and am hoping that people in the know might be able to point me in the right direction on a couple of points. I'd like to get it right. Learnt the hard way with the project just finished. We move in a couple of weeks so just lining up ducks.

1 - Almost every ceiling in the house has cracks along the boards. I understand that this is from movement of the boards so I think I have two options;
- Tape and joint
- Overboard
What's the professional take on this? I did some tape and joint (mesh) on a ceiling but the weather changed and some of the cracks reappeared. Am I better off overboarding as a long term solution?

2 - The house needs a central heating install. For aesthetics, I'd like to bury the pipework. I've seen some gaffer tape pipe or put it inside a plastic pipe and bury. Bonding + Skim. I've seen others channel, clip pipes in and then use plasterboard + skim. Usually the whole wall. I'm good with either to be honest but burying with bond and skim seem the more cost effective method. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
@Yann renovation is his game. along with a master’s in pvA