House Rendering : Which Render?

Members online

Cool Bear

Hi all

This is my first post, I'm sure there are plenty of posts where people are asking which plaster is good for their purpose.
However, I'll post another one anyway! Except I'll include photos too. I am based in East London. The house is double fronted.

Q. As much as I like the look of bare bricks. I have been advised there would be too many bricks to repair / replace.
I'm also confused about the pros and cons of each eg Cement sand plaster, K Render, Monocouche Render, Silcon K Render... I could go on....
The type of render I would like is something that is maintenance free for a significant amount of time and is a cost effective solution.
Which should I go for?

Q. Do the other works to the front of my house take precedence to plastering/rendering? eg replacement soffits, stone paint stripping and paint, wood work etc? I'll have to plan my work in stages it'll also help with budgeting too.

Please can you advise. Thanks.

Attachments

• pillar.jpg
    pillar.jpg
    711.3 KB · Views: 204
  • pillar2.jpg
    pillar2.jpg
    541.5 KB · Views: 177
  • soffits.jpg
    soffits.jpg
    460.2 KB · Views: 173
  • stonework 2.jpg
    stonework 2.jpg
    606.9 KB · Views: 164
  • stonework.jpg
    stonework.jpg
    580.7 KB · Views: 161
  • window sills.jpg
    window sills.jpg
    769.8 KB · Views: 209
  • woodwork.jpg
    woodwork.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 173
The render you apply will not be structural! Whatever render you put on will need to be applied to a quality background, so the brickwork will need to be checked and secure.

I would suggest you make sure that if you have other works that are going to abut the render, these need reviewing and planning as to what to do first... you cannot patch render in easily if you change soffits, Facias, windows and cills and end up with gaps as you refit straight new elements after the rendering. also, if some of the other replacement works could allow water to get onto (or worse, behind) the render after it has been applied, the render will fail...

It looks like you have a lot of things to do, I’d work with the elements that abut the brickwork first, starting at the top of the building downwards and render later to the new additions...

Good luck

With the old brickwork, it may need it to be able breath, so a breathable scratch or lime render may be more suitable...

modern thin coat renders are more hardy and lower maintenance, but will seal the brickwork in...

Renders all need maintenance, but you do get what you pay for.....

Agree with above
Can you post a picture of the whole house front please , tbh on certain properties I advise not to render and am thinking yours maybe one

If you think of bricks working on a volume area basis then there is nothing wrong with yours i.e.
Just because a face here or there has blown off there is no real structural integrity lost imo

But get the wood replaced

I think the odd brick face filled with lime coupled with a repoint looks quite attractive tbh

Congratulations, you have bought what is known as a money pit. On the lines of all fur coat and no knickers - forget prettying the brickwork - get the roof secure first and the damp proofing/any rot, get a professional survey & advice first, not trades. e.g. that upstairs brick corner does not look secure and may need to be rebuilt. Then work thru' the other stuff as per the guys advice above.

Agree with above
Can you post a picture of the whole house front please , tbh on certain properties I advise not to render and am thinking yours maybe one

Thank you for your help.
Please find attached Whole house front photos.

Attachments

• 03FDE53D-B894-4E43-8879-EA7C4C68F542.jpeg
    03FDE53D-B894-4E43-8879-EA7C4C68F542.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 166
  • B5D2D722-2878-4945-BAC4-A1042923C29B.jpeg
    B5D2D722-2878-4945-BAC4-A1042923C29B.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 174
  • 7F40CB28-9F9F-4177-A397-F509AE3F27AA.jpeg
    7F40CB28-9F9F-4177-A397-F509AE3F27AA.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 177
  • 1DA2B5EF-1946-4A96-A044-A431BD825E46.jpeg
    1DA2B5EF-1946-4A96-A044-A431BD825E46.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 166
Photos

Attachments

• EB029D88-27BF-4B2E-8D35-682DC3F45639.jpeg
    EB029D88-27BF-4B2E-8D35-682DC3F45639.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 155
  • CB373540-7CA9-4B7D-9F12-1951DCA77DE9.jpeg
    CB373540-7CA9-4B7D-9F12-1951DCA77DE9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 164
Upper brickwork piers needs to be replaced, not in good condition before, they've been broken by someone forcing the replacement double glazing in. You might save the bottom ones.
Somebody has tried to hide or protect the totally shot brickwork at the bottom either side of the front door with some "render".
What is happening is that all of the painted fancy window shelves, door crowns etc have channelled water run off down the remaining brick faces either side of the door, hence they have got soaked and are breaking up. The render patches have either put the run off higher up and/or it is still going behind and hiding something nasty. It would probably be best to completely replace the lower shot brickwork and render the front with something that can withstand the water run-off and can be cleaned. - There's guys on here who know about that, not me.
Normally there would be an issue with breathability but the amount of run-off trumps that, so it will have to breath internally.
But get the roofing sorted first.

You have some Hawk Eyes! You've identified a lot of things that I didn't notice and I live here.

Upper brickwork piers needs to be replaced, not in good condition before, they've been broken by someone forcing the replacement double glazing in. You might save the bottom ones.

Some of the terminology is new to me. Brickwork Piers - I take it as the pillar of brick work not connected to a wall and in my photos appear at the corners of the bay windows.
I am very much focused on retaining the brick front of my house. If I have to replace the whole pillar, I will.

Q. Does this type of orange brick have a name?Is it easy to get? It's quite a soft smooth sandy type of brick.

Q. An experienced builder/bricky will be doing this job. Is it just of matter of putting up acrow props to support the stonework from falling down and replacing the bricks that are damaged.

Q. A couple of weeks ago a builder gave his opinion on the front of my house and suggested that a few years ago whenever the last person re-pointed the brickwork they used cement. In my case the cement is harder than the bricks and could damaged them. Is he correct? I can't remember exactly what he recommended .. I think he suggested a limestone based mix.

Somebody has tried to hide or protect the totally shot brickwork at the bottom either side of the front door with some "render".

What is happening is that all of the painted fancy window shelves, door crowns etc have channelled water run off down the remaining brick faces either side of the door, hence they have got soaked and are breaking up. The render patches have either put the run off higher up and/or it is still going behind and hiding something nasty.

It was raining last night, so this morning I took a few photos of the front.
Yep you're right. I must be Mr Magoo or to be honest I have been ignoring the condition of the internal side of my house directly behind where the bricks are getting excessively wet.
photos attached
front-left.jpg

It would probably be best to completely replace the lower shot brickwork and render the front with something that can withstand the water run-off and can be cleaned. - There's guys on here who know about that, not me. Normally there would be an issue with breathability but the amount of run-off trumps that, so it will have to breath internally.

That's what I'll do.
It would be great if anyone else can advise what other rendering I could use for the current cracking and pointless cement I already have in place.

But get the roofing sorted first.

I don't have a plan to change the roof yet.
In a couple of years I plan to convert the loft into dorma it'll give me 2 large rooms and a bathroom.
The only things linked to the roof that need attention are soffits and wooden spike.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• front-left(internal).jpg
    front-left(internal).jpg
    696.8 KB · Views: 165
  • front-right(internal).jpg
    front-right(internal).jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 181
  • front-right.jpg
    front-right.jpg
    754.1 KB · Views: 146
Yes, I've called them piers off the top of my head, could/probably be correct about the too-hard pointing but it's mainly water damage.
Unable to second guess how to prop up while re building, needs on site careful mark one eyeball. Have seen it done by relying upon the box sash windows holding it up! But not upvc..
Standard period London brick, lots of similar colour but modern ones slighty different in size. Try to get something a bit harder, warning, cheap usually means softer= soaks up water = avoid.
Yes, I meant the woodwork not the whole roof, but check all the flashings and dump the spike - replace with a proper tile that doesn't let the water in, with a ceramic pointy/dragon/dwarf bit if you want.