hop up, steps or stilts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roryston

What do.you all prefer?

I used hop ups most my plastering life but they get so much abuse I find myself replacing them, and if I'm using them all day I find my legs begin to ache.

I've been using a short set of youngman steps for about a month now and my legs dont seem to be aching as much.

I could just be a pussy or am I on to something?

Lids = Stilts ..... honestly don't see how your going from one side to the other trowelling on hop ups or ladders

Walls = Hop up(s) depending on size or a crate

We use lightweight steps, I like the versatility of the heights. Never really like hop ups..it's just what you're used to I suppose.

Have stilts too but lost the straps for them.

Stilts for ceilings.Hop ups for walls or if I'm working with another plasterer I use stilts for the tops,it's easier than getting up and down and far quicker as well.

Lids = Stilts ..... honestly don't see how your going from one side to the other trowelling on hop ups or ladders

Walls = Hop up(s) depending on size or a crate

Why is it a necessity to trowel from one side to the other??

Do you trowel walls from ceiling to floor?

Last edited:
Hop up for me, i am 6ft 2 with arms as long as a monkeys though so can get a good stretch!! Had a go of stilts when was bout 20, didnt go well, lost me balance + went flat on me face so not tried em since, keep thinking about giving them a go tho.

Didn't say is was necessity just my preference ... for instance on a hop you can do 2-3 m2 squared maybe if u have a couple lined up and a good reach ? (unless you have planks etc)

2nd flatten with a s/s going from edge to edge you can look and see if theres anything that sticks out if that makes sense .... and its just so much easier that's all

Try these out, best I've used. Ezy hop

Attachments

• 1442435300980.jpg
    1442435300980.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 968
  • 1442435329871.jpg
    1442435329871.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,293
  • 1442435351789.jpg
    1442435351789.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 736
Those eze hops look handy, but a tad pricey!!
Two crates with a plank zip tied does the trick for me.
How long a bench van you make for the £130?

What do.you all prefer?

I used hop ups most my plastering life but they get so much abuse I find myself replacing them, and if I'm using them all day I find my legs begin to ache.

I've been using a short set of youngman steps for about a month now and my legs dont seem to be aching as much.

I could just be a pussy or am I on to something?

Ive got crates, hop ups, stilts, steps, staircase ladder, planks.
They all get used when needed.
Every jobs different.

I like to cross trowel from one end to the other at the end of the set. Used to always scaffold the lot out but use planks onto crates and Refina hop ups now.

Use stilts but like to be able run the whole ceiling freely cross hatch. Each to their own though, no hard feelings :guitarra::burlas:

Status
Not open for further replies.