Home made tyrolean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pug

Got a feeling this has been asked before. I've got a rush job to patch some tyrolean but nowhere round here stocks it, can i make my own with silver sand and cement? Colour's not an issue, it's going to be painted.

I patched some recently, just went over S & C with a wet roller and it wasn't too bad a match considering it was getting painted.

sprayit said:
polish guy used to work for us used a bunch of twigs dipped in mortor to imitatate tyrolean, worked ok

Funny enough a Pole who worked on our site did
the same thing. Years ago in Ireland spreads used
to stick green etc glass from bottles at random in
dry dash cos it glinted in the sun. This Pole said
in Poland they used fish scales for the same reason

(in tyrolean that is )

irish_spread said:
i always make my own. I use rendering sand at 3:1 to cement with a
tyro gun. Perfick ;)

sounds good, bit worried about going over a 6:1 base coat with a stronger mix though....?

Pug said:
irish_spread said:
i always make my own. I use rendering sand at 3:1 to cement with a
tyro gun. Perfick ;)

sounds good, bit worried about going over a 6:1 base coat with a stronger mix though....?

The tyrolean isnt 'structural' (if thats the right word) coat tho, its only
a splatter coat. What 'strenghth' paint are they gonna use ?

I think people read too much into these reducing strength mixes. I did a tyro
job for an Asian builder who had got his own mob to render this massive
2 storey wrap around extension over breeze blocks. They cocked it up with a 6:1 mix (warned him)
and it all blew. The Tyro stuck like sh1t to it tho ;D

tyrolene has got toooo expensive

20.00 ish bag +vat

used to plaster/render conservatories

matching tyrolene/wet dash ect

used to make my own mix ---sand/cement (3:1)

never caused me any problems/call backs

Hi Martinemj, I plan to use a home made Tyrolean mix with a flicker gun to cover a block wall, with an idea to add colouring. Can anyone advise me about the type of sand I should use and type of colouring I could use? Do I need to water proof this also? I can not use a ready mix because It is not available in the country I plan to use it and I would not pay the prices they ask anyway. Any tips would be most helpful as I have a lot of wall to cover. Many thanks, Lawrence.

I make my own here, it's called spritz here, it's just as crap.
White cement and spritz mix (it's just like white grit crushed limestone I would imagine) at about 3-1, if you are doing a large area it's a good idea to make a note of the mix quantities then it's consistent over the whole area.

Status
Not open for further replies.