HMRC SCAM

Members online

hollybank

Private Member
I think this. is the best place to put this as its the most visited area.
I got a call on sat morning from hmrc saying i was being fraudulant not paying an outstanding bill of £1750 and you have had every chance to pay it and they have called at my house several times for payment
The caller gave me his official badge number and my case number.
Now i was going to be arrested straight away,,bank account frozen passport taken away and my name was going to be in the local paper for evading paying tax.
It was very convincing and i ended up putting the phone down as i was quite worried about the matter,later on i ended up ringing my accountant to verify the amount i owed and put my mind out rest.
Luckily i didnt give away any bank details.
So be careful out there people and dont fall for this scam.

I got a call on sat morning from hmrc saying i was being fraudulant not paying an outstanding bill of £1750 and you have had every chance to pay it and they have called at my house several times for payment
Now i was going to be arrested straight away,,bank account frozen passport taken away and my name was going to be in the local paper for evading paying tax.
It was very convincing and i ended up putting the phone down as i was quite worried about the matter,later on i ended up ringing my accountant to verify the amount i owed and put my mind out rest.
I had to get a new utr number through these bastards

I pay the hmrc on time and know my position with them. I had a call only a few years ago and knew it was a scam.

I agreed that I owe the money and have no intention to pay so F*#k off! Hung up and heard nothing.

These bastards prey on people with this. Always remember- unless it’s stupid amounts and I mean 100s of thousands , the old bill will NOT nick you for tax evasion, they are too tucked up dealing with the backlog of Jeremy Kyle referrals. If the old bill want you, it certainly won’t be about £1750 tax

it just caught me unawares mid set,my head was thinking i need to flatten down while i took the call in the van
I did owe some tax years ago when it was the credit cunch but paid it off so i thought it was coming back to haunt me.

Had a similar call a few months ago from an 0121 Birmingham region number, Asian chap claiming to be from the tax office saying I was being investigated. Something didn’t add up when I asked his name and he said it was David, he was definitely Asian and didn’t sound like a David, the basic idea was to send me into a panic and make a payment over the phone. It was fairly intimidating and to a degree seemed believable but I kept asking questions and eventually he hung up when he realised I wasn’t co operating. Not had any further correspondence like letters or anything so definitely a tactic of trying to panic and scare people into making payments.