Hmm how to prep for plastering??

Dave1988

Alright everyone

Joined this forum just now as I look at a lot on here. I've just moved into my 3rd refurb house. Had 2 houses fully skimmed and now it's this ones turn!

I like to do everything properly and just find it easier to move in get the heating and electricity sorted and get everything back to a decent finish.

Joined this for two reasons. One which ill post in the section to find a plasterer as I've tried 4 now and none have compared to the 1st guy who now doesn't plaster anymore. *cries*

Now the question, I'll upload a photo but I had to box in some pipe drops so I cut out some of the coving to do so. I don't want this coving so when the time comes I'll be removing it all prior to skimming. I've put my camera behind to confirm then removed a bit on the other side of lounge, the internal walls are not boarded to the cieling lol. Just the external wall.

Its 1990 build. Dot and dab over a mix of breeze and brick.

How would you go about fixing this as I'm thinking ill resolve this before getting plasterer in as don't expect anyone to mess around filling those little bits in with plaster board etc.

I'm dave btw and thanks for taking the time to read my post. I'm from the walderslade area in me5.

Attachments

• 20210310_072324.jpg
    20210310_072324.jpg
    688.3 KB · Views: 215
Yes, good to see everything done properly.
Why did you cut the plasterboard coving, instead of cutting the plasterboards to meet the coving.
Or why cut the coving back too far.
I think if I did some work for you, the next time you phoned me I would say, I don't do any plastering anymore.

Why did you cut the plasterboard coving, instead of cutting the plasterboards to meet the coving.
I think if I did some work for you, the next time you phoned me I would say, I don't do any plastering anymore.
What are you on about? He cut the coving to do some boxing in. All the rest of the coving is being removed

Alright everyone

Joined this forum just now as I look at a lot on here. I've just moved into my 3rd refurb house. Had 2 houses fully skimmed and now it's this ones turn!

I like to do everything properly and just find it easier to move in get the heating and electricity sorted and get everything back to a decent finish.

Joined this for two reasons. One which ill post in the section to find a plasterer as I've tried 4 now and none have compared to the 1st guy who now doesn't plaster anymore. *cries*

Now the question, I'll upload a photo but I had to box in some pipe drops so I cut out some of the coving to do so. I don't want this coving so when the time comes I'll be removing it all prior to skimming. I've put my camera behind to confirm then removed a bit on the other side of lounge, the internal walls are not boarded to the cieling lol. Just the external wall.

How would you go about fixing this as I'm thinking ill resolve this before getting plasterer in as don't expect anyone to mess around filling those little bits in with plaster board etc.

I'm dave btw and thanks for taking the time to read my post. I'm from the walderslade area in me5.
Either fill it in with plasterboard or bonding yourself or let the plasterer do it. Not really a great deal of prep there for a plasterer to be honest

Hi Bryan.

Lol nah trust me I'm not one of those customers. I work in a trade and just don't expect people to do things above and beyond. Believe in making peoples jobs as easy as can be for them hence asking the question so when I remove the coving I can do something to sort the gap before getting spread in.

The entire coving is coming down and staying down eventually hence over cutting so I had more room to plumb then box.

I haven't done the boarding behind thats from when the house was built.

Either fill it in with plasterboard or bonding yourself or let the plasterer do it. Not really a great deal of prep there for a plasterer to be honest
Hi Nath

Nail on the head mate. Thanks for your reply. Wasn't sure out of those two options what would be best.

I've never dot and dabbed board bits in I can do boxing and would feel comfortable putting bonding coat in but rekon if I dotted it in would be all over the place lol

Oh yes, remove the coving to have a gap all the way around the room, then patch it in with bonding.
When the internal angle crack, he could hide it with some coving.

Oh yes, remove the coving to have a gap all the way around the room, then patch it in with bonding.
When the internal angle crack, he could hide it with some coving.
He doesn't want coving.... Its s**t and dated

Oaky chill out, it's coving not COVID.
Are you having a bad day, maybe you just found out your Thai wife has testicle cancer?
Just find it annoying when people can't even read a simple post

Hi Nath

Nail on the head mate. Thanks for your reply. Wasn't sure out of those two options what would be best.

I've never dot and dabbed board bits in I can do boxing and would feel comfortable putting bonding coat in but rekon if I dotted it in would be all over the place lol
Tbh putting plasterboard in would be very easy. Just cut the width of the board a few mms smaller than needed, pop abit of adhesive on the pack and push it in to place. Put a level on the wall and tap it in with the end of the level until its flush. If you can do some boxing in and other bits round the house you'd be more than capable of doing it

Hi Dave,

I agree with the above comment, at least this method it can then be taped up to avoid cracks. Will you want the ceiling over boarded Before plastering? What’s the condition of the ceiling?

Alright everyone

I'm dave btw and thanks for taking the time to read my post. I'm from the walderslade area in
I’m not a million miles from you when your ready

sorry lads not been about much as had a bereavement.

Thanks for all your replies sounds like boarding be best for less cracks in future. My hoovers loving the board dust cream crackered

Cieling in good nick other than being artex lol niiccee.

Superspread ill drop you a message as I'll need someone for hall stair landing. Lounge and kitchen diner. And potentially new extension as I'm getting faffed about with it getting tempted to have a shell built and then get trades in for the rest.

Lounge Cieling going to have spots and speakers in which I cant do from above so be done from below so loads of nice open holes for ya . Was trying to plan a way of doing it before but need to drill joists and speakers near on fill the 400mm gap between them.

Really appreciate all the answers tho!