Hits

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilPlaster

Private Member
When you say how many hits you do regardless of how many bags for now, do you lads include closing in as the same hit or not?

Yeah, I assume 1 hit/set/gauge to be one 'session' of plastering. i.e first coat, and then second coat = 1 hit.

Ok , say you do a large ceiling, first mix fills the bucket and you get it on . First coat. Then you have to mix up again to get the second coat on. Is that classed as one hit or two?

to me a hit = set/guage/mix first coat is scratching on and top coat is laying in. but we're wierd in cov

steve cov said:
Bruce Willis said:
Thats what I thought. So one wall complete or what ever you can get on eg ceiling, 2 walls finished is one hit?

your confusing me again
Im askin if you class one hit from start to finish or first and second coat of same areas as two hits. Its sorted now mate, Im onto the next question

3/ 4 bags per hit and would I be right in saying 2- 3 hits a day is average. so that would be 6- 9 bags if doin 3 bag hits?

I work on my own and I'll generally do three sets a day, 1.5-2 bags first coat, .5-1 bags to lay in, so 2-3 bags a set, but if it's a big couple of walls say 3 first coat and 1.5 lay in. A lot depends on what there is to go at and how big an area. If you've got a labourer you can get more on. :)

Nice one ;) Just never worked with any one that called sets ,sets. Ive always just said that wall , that wall, that wall and said keep it comin as Ive needed it. I only get 1 bag in those white tall plastering buckets and use a spot so Thats why ive never mixed more than a bag in one go, I used to mix, put on spot then mix straight away etc.
How the f**k do you guys lift a gorilla tub with 3 bags in it onto a spot? !

try one of those big buckets from refina, like the one in oasis' picture. itll hold a couple of bags but will be sturdy enough to pick up. cant stand those gorilla buckets. they flap all over the place!

on site I would do 3 sets a day but on domestic its always just 2

I dont like working late in peoples houses... I also like to clean up propper

Danny

I use it out the bucket with a coal shovel, I used to use a spot religously but when my mate left I just ended up using the bucket, takes less carrieing, cleaning and setting up, never looked back to be fair, horses for courses! ;)
As with Danny 2 sets on domestic and a good clean up, very important.

ziggy2 said:
I use it out the bucket with a coal shovel, I used to use a spot religously but when my mate left I just ended up using the bucket, takes less carrieing, cleaning and setting up, never looked back to be fair, horses for courses! ;)

i tried that today funnily enough. we left the bucket trowel at the other job we're doing so used a coal shovel. doesnt clean the bucket out very well though. need a trow hawk! theres no way you'd get me doing a 3/4 bag set out of the bucket

I suppose it's what you get used to, it's not a problem doing a big mix, once you've got to the bottom bang a mix straight in and you're away. I use a gauge trowel to scrape the dregs!

All that bending! Doesnt air get in those gorilla tubs making the gear go off quicker? In fact when I ve worked out of a bucket I think its always gone off quicker.

I don't know, it takes me 2-2.5hrs a set, proper two coat work. There's no more bending than doing the bottom of the wall.

Bruce Willis said:
All that bending! Doesnt air get in those gorilla tubs making the gear go off quicker? In fact when I ve worked out of a bucket I think its always gone off quicker.
Hello bruce ive tried many ways of mixing plaster whether it be undercoat plasters or onecoat or board or multi- finish many plasterers work from the bucket as do many from the spot as for setting times well we all know if its in the bucket or on a spot board once mixed it has to be applied as quickly as possible i honestly think theres no difference at all in the setting time.I do think tempretures play a big part in the setting times like colder months the curing lasts longer than in the warmer months out of curiosity i might mix up some plaster and see which sets the quickest on the spot board or in the bucket in theory it should set quicker on the spot because more of the plaster is exposed to the air but me physics are a bit rusty at the moment i do have a plasterers bath for undercoat plasters selco sell good ones made from polyprop cheers jimfish.

yes bruce one hit includes the "laying down" or "closing in" coat whatever you like to call it, I usually do a brimmer and then mix just under half that ammount to second coat (lay down or close in) the same area. this is a hit for us lot

im skimmin new builds on site now. i do 3 hits a day. with 3 bags in each. my lab mixes me 2 to ruff on and 1 lays them in. flatten towel polish =1 hit finished ;D ok friend

1 bag in 2 sets is enough for me, any more i`m working to hard .Half a bag in the morning, the other half in the afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.