Historic Building Conservation student with a question

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentNick

Hi everyone.

I am researching for my dissertation about the conservation of fibrous plaster, especially looking at ceilings following the collapse at the Apollo in London (plus I also work part time at a theatre, so good access to a case study both from the auditorium and from the void above). I'm looking into ways of detecting defects in the plaster, whether inherent or result of decay. Does anyone on here have experience of this side of the work, inspecting historic fibrous plaster? I was thinking of using other technologies like a thermal camera to detect weak spots, stuff like that. Any ideas?

Hi everyone.

I am researching for my dissertation about the conservation of fibrous plaster, especially looking at ceilings following the collapse at the Apollo in London (plus I also work part time at a theatre, so good access to a case study both from the auditorium and from the void above). I'm looking into ways of detecting defects in the plaster, whether inherent or result of decay. Does anyone on here have experience of this side of the work, inspecting historic fibrous plaster? I was thinking of using other technologies like a thermal camera to detect weak spots, stuff like that. Any ideas?

Hi nick
We do a lot of this work , looked at a ceiling this morning in fact ,
The client noticed cracks , and asked me to look at it,I'll be giving him a report and method statement ,
Email me and I'll help you if I can,
I'm not sure wharf a thermal camera will show , normally cracking , and sagging of ceilings is what Alerts people, and of course when they fall down

Irish Fine Art Plasterwork | Irish Fine Art Plasterwork

As frank has said. The obvious signs are cracks, signs of water and dampness.and rot in the ceiling.

Applying some pressure by hand to see if there is substantual movement.
For larger casts they may be attached using plaster wads. If access to behind is possible checking the integrity of these. If they are rotten then they will.need replacing. Etc

Z

Thanks for your comments so far guys, if your okay with it some of the suggestions will go into my essay. But it appears the problems been solved by jesssop. If you hit it with a hammer and it falls down...it's not safe! :RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.