Hiding soot stained chimney breast with battens/plywood/plasterboard

Members online

Keir

all

Just looking for some advice or ideas to cover up the attached picture situation please.
Log/coal fire my mum had didn't have flexible flue installed so soot build up in chimney only discovered after painting walls. Getting flue installed now etc but the stains will continue to come through unless I do something like the title I think?

Have sanded whole room and it kind of disappeared for now but will come back with any water based products applied I've read/heard.

Read many many ideas and definitely ain't trying the cow dung method sorry!!
Just want to build over a new wall to hide it as it seems easier/quicker/relatively permanent solution to rectify?
Don't like the stain block paints, not a smooth finish feels like sandpaper been wallpapered on there unless others know different?

Basically looking to lining paper the whole room then paint it. It's all internal walls backing onto chimney stack.

Was going to batten upto ceiling height and maybe across the ceiling level and floor and between battens at 300mm horizontally (not sure if horizontals necessary?) then plywood over battens for some strength if anything needs to be screwed on the wall, then plasterboard over, then lining paper it all. Does that work/seem OK? doing battens for air circulation etc?

Any advice greatly received on idea/batten sizes/amounts of/plywood depth/plasterboard type used?
Any questions you have I will answer as best as an electrician can! :)

Many thanks all for any assistance you give

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    779.8 KB · Views: 1,629
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    658.3 KB · Views: 606
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    602 KB · Views: 772
Were are you keir I could give you aprice to sort that out. You need to hack off and give a good clean and then tanking slurry then sand and cement with sikabond or newton membrane or similar.

The cost will be £ 3,200 . Flynnyman is local and know what is doing, or selling , whatever he calls it.

Thanks!! Im bit speechless! Haha

i would prefer to get it fixed permanently but surely I have to actually remove the stained bricks from the chimney stack and get it throughly cleaned everywhere inside through that hole or it's pointless doing new render and plaster?
And the chimney stack backs onto what will be my brothers room which will need the bricks removed aswell I'd guess too. Should remove paper from there and apply some paint to see!

It's mostly stained on the corner of the second set/45angle up as living room fireplace is centred in middle of room.

The old fire place next to stains has just been plastered over so could that assist with some serious cleaning of the inside then something to draw the soot out bricks?
Or are the bricks mortally damaged?

Thanks for the assistance

Just wondering if it's important I remove the other soot infected wall that backs onto the chimney breast/wall in my room before I get my walls/chimney slurried/SBR/sand cement etc applied??

Thabks

You won't need to remove the bricks just the plaster and you say you had it plastered before? Looks like they used the wrong plaster which has caused the problem or made it worse.

Sorry I wasn't very clear.
Not the bricks... I meant the plaster that is on the wall the other side of the bricks that I've removed the plaster from already. My room is separated from the other room via wall and chimney. That's the infected wall and chimney. Hope that makes more sense now :)

Is it imperative I do that wall aswell before I get mine done? I was going to start yesterday just my bro is being a unsocial arse at mo and I really can't be bothered now to help him!!

Thanks

No ones plastered it since house was built as far as I know.

Partly Mis use of log stove, burning too wet logs and slow burning them ..and 6 monthly chimney sweeps kept saying they swept it fine etc no issues. Obviously u can't see behind brick but that's one job that's hard to trust without a camera visual.

I'm now an advocate of always getting a flexible flue liner fitted!

Im in Surrey

My plasterer mate (12 years experience) is completing it as I type with SBR slurry sand cement etc :) He was away on honeymoon before so couldn't really ring him , and I just wanted to get my head round the situation so could verify with him once available as there seemed to be a tonne of possible rectification ideas.

Massively grateful to everyone who's advised.

Hopefully in few weeks/months I will know it can be an easy cure for others in same situation. ..like the other wall in my house! :)