Hiar-line cracks in render

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fragonard

I've got a coupl of hair-line (well almost) cracks in the external rendr of my house. It's a red brick house. In one location on the inside of the house directly opposit on of the cracks is some dampness. Could I 'scrape' out the cracks and then re-fill with something to seal? It looks like that render is a sand and cenment render with some lime in it. What is my best course of action without costing me hundreds if not thousands of pounds?

If it just a quick patch solution you want then. Run a grinder through the cracks and fill with a flexible filler and paint the whole area.

Thank you Deri. I've got Everflex Contract 125 One Hour Calk. It does say it's for external use too. I hope it's fine........

Somebody else has suggested to me Sandtex Masonry Filler.

I bought a tub of Sandtex today in B and Q and it was over £7 for little more than a yogurt container. It won't be enough. What flexible filler would you guys suggest.

Sorry can't supply any pics now as I'm back home and the property is some miles away. There is no cavity wall in the house. It's a red-bricked Victorian era house.

I chiselled away carefully at the cracks which was so time consuming. I'll use a grinder next time. Most of the cracks seem little more than cracks in the paint but one was a little more and in fact was a little easier to clean out since the render was softer to a certain depth. It doesn't seem to have blown though when you tap it. This builder I know thought so too.

Pictures would help a lot more but by the sounds of it they are shrinkage cracks in the topcoat of the render.
I've used a filler that came in a caulk gun cartridge to remedy some cracks in some old render a few months back, I think it was by ever build but il check tomorrow when I get to the yard.

Thanks Deri,

In fact, the Everflex I mention above is by Everbuild so it could be the same.....

When you say to run a grinder through the cracks....to what depth and width are we talking about?

One other thing Deri if it's the same thing.....if I apply this to the wall it says it doesn't require sanding so I suppose it's surface will be rather smooth. Will it look look obvious after I've painted the house? The present surface looks grainy......
Thanks.

I'll try and post some pics if I do go to the house tomorrow....

The fill may be obvious id say. The job I did had a few layers of paint so was quite smooth anyway. Maybe you could paint with a sandtex type paint to disguise the fills a bit.
I'd grind in the depth of the render myself.

There are some images of the cracks. The lst has a hair-line crack going down along the surround brickwork to the door. I hope they're clear enough. On my phone they're clear enough but my screen resolution on my computer isn't very good. Looking forward to your opinions......:)

The first image in the above two posts is that of the front entrance with the door on the left. There are almost no cracks at all in the upper half of the building.

Seem to be bigger than a hairline crack. Some settlement movement. Some plaster not put up correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using The Plasterers Forum

Those cracks could well be down to settlement in the building. Rake them out with a grinder and fill them as said previously.

The building itself is Victorian I would say. I've noticed that the next door house also has the same. I'm going to show my ignorance but what exactly is settlement of the building? I'd imagine a slight sinking over the years?

Where are you in west Wales Deri if you don't mind me asking?

I'm about 10 miles north of a town called Cardigan. Right in the coast.

You've got it about settlement.

I'm about 10 miles north of a town called Cardigan. Right in the coast.

You've got it about settlement.

Beautiful part of the world, I love that area :RpS_thumbsup: people are a little daft but that adds to its charm :RpS_biggrin:

I know the area well having been brought up near-by. Your board name rang a bell shall we say..... ;-)

Anyway, I've filled in the cracks and sanded down and painted the house. It looks good. I hope it's a long term fix.

I know the area well having been brought up near-by. Your board name rang a bell shall we say..... ;-)

Anyway, I've filled in the cracks and sanded down and painted the house. It looks good. I hope it's a long term fix.

You may know me?

Possibly. But I meant I recognized the word 'Deri' as in a type of tree. But I do know your area very well. ;-)

Gods own country my friend. You are right about the type of tree as Deri is welsh for oak but why my patens decided to name me after a tree I don't know?

I'm from Aberporth but I live in a village called Brynhoffnant now but still have a house in Aberporth.

Status
Not open for further replies.