Hi

Davetree

I trained as a plasterer after leaving school in the 70s , achieved City and Guilds ( for whatever it’s worth ). Then fate took me down different paths , although I kept my hand in as they say and working on a large factory there was always somebody wanting some plastering doing .
Happily retired now but about to start rendering sons extension, when restrictions allow .
Never used drip beads before and I’m wondering if you just form the Bella at the bottom freehand ?
Any tips welcomed .

I trained as a plasterer after leaving school in the 70s , achieved City and Guilds ( for whatever it’s worth ). Then fate took me down different paths , although I kept my hand in as they say and working on a large factory there was always somebody wanting some plastering doing .
Happily retired now but about to start rendering sons extension, when restrictions allow .
Never used drip beads before and I’m wondering if you just form the Bella at the bottom freehand ?
Any tips welcomed .
you need to employ a plasterer, things have moved on and you can not even remember how to form a bell cast!

Don’t forget pictures of finished job.:sisi:
Used the bell cast beads from Wickes, this is my first attempt at rendering for 40 odd years, there is one knackered 64 year old now, I tried my best, just beat the rain too.

Attachments

• IMG_20210502_154749.jpg
    IMG_20210502_154749.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 195
Used the bell cast beads from Wickes, this is my first attempt at rendering for 40 odd years, there is one knackered 64 year old now, I tried my best, just beat the rain too.
If you’re happy with it that’s the main thing.

Good on you Dave giving it a go after all those years - just don’t pop round on a sunny-day.
Btw, Dave...wot a name

Good on you Dave giving it a go after all those years - just don’t pop round on a sunny-day.
Btw, Dave...wot a name
Thanks, it definitely looks better when it's cloudy, trouble is they get sun all afternoon. Wonder if the paint will help.

Its not great, but you've put the graft in and your boys happy.
Thanks, got to do 3 more sides yet, I forgot how hard rendering is, my arms were dropping off, although I did scratch coat another side.
The Defence industry that i moved into was much easier.

Thanks, got to do 3 more sides yet, I forgot how hard rendering is, my arms were dropping off, although I did scratch coat another side.
You should have beaded your external corners or set them up in s&c with a straight edge.

My sons bungalow has already got existing render on two sides and it is rock solid but like a rough cast finish, he wants me to render on top of it as it doesn't want to come off, any thoughts, tips or ideas would be welcome.

You should have beaded your external corners or set them up in s&c with a straight edge.
The left side wall is not being rendered as a garage is being added later, so I really should have cut it off 4 inches in, the right hand external was beaded, thanks for the advice though.

My sons bungalow has already got existing render on two sides and it is rock solid but like a rough cast finish, he wants me to render on top of it as it doesn't want to come off, any thoughts, tips or ideas would be welcome.

Ok guys , I guess it was a bridge too far , Tyrolean gun is an option I suppose thanks for the comments , all the best for the future , trowel is staying in the shed now .

trowel is staying in the shed now .
Don’t be discouraged
You achieved allot more than most people in the country could - good effort
Should of done a practice wall before attempting that main elevation.
Did you do it all off that step ladder?

That’s really kind of you,still unsure wether to have another go, yes had to do it off step ladder and you are right should have practiced first , just wondering if the sand was right stuff , it was “ washed plastering sand “ but it was quite gritty, way back when ,we tended to use yellow sharp sand .
Unfortunately I live 200 miles away from the property and can only do work there on occasional weekends and my son orders the stuff locally, maybe it’s a regional terminology for which type of sand to use .I am up north the property is Dorset .