Hi

Members online

Hamish23

Hi, i have a wall recently rendered with k rend onto a sound concrete block backing. Unfortunatly the contractor left the top coat too long before scratching back so the result is patchy and neeeds re coating.

The surface was rendered with the correct backing coat and meshed before top coating. If i am to have it re covered with a new k rend finish does the previous render have to come off or can it be over coated?

Any thoughts are most welcome.

Thanks

If it is not too patchy, maybe another hand of k rend. If it is very very patchy, than maybe take off k rend and do it over.

Hi, i have a wall recently rendered with k rend onto a sound concrete block backing. Unfortunatly the contractor left the top coat too long before scratching back so the result is patchy and neeeds re coating.

The surface was rendered with the correct backing coat and meshed before top coating. If i am to have it re covered with a new k rend finish does the previous render have to come off or can it be over coated?

Any thoughts are most welcome.

Thanks
Any pictures available?

If it is not too patchy, maybe another hand of k rend. If it is very very patchy, than maybe take off k rend and do it over.
Hi ,

The wall was a bit patchy on the scaffold lineswhere it got away fom the guy doing the work in warm weather. The wall was later overcoated with rend mend to even out the patches, however the owner doesnt like the reduced relief in the textured finish. The backing coat is really sound and stuck hard to the block my question is weather or not there is a keying issue going over the previous coat, and also i have been advised if its stuck on hard then getting it off could cause damage to the blocks?

Thanks

Hi thanks,

Would the thin coat finish have the same appearance as the intended k rend look ? And if so, what is the product and method?

Cheers

a thin coat acrylic finish with a 1.5 grit would give you the same appearance. don't go for a smaller size grit as it will just be like paint.
the important fact is have the previous worker got the wall flat ? if so paint the wall with an acrylic primer it may need 2 coats if there is to be a colour change. leave for a week. then scrape on the acrylic. the blue handle plastic trowel from Refina is the correct trowel for finishing 1.5 acrylic.

a thin coat acrylic finish with a 1.5 grit would give you the same appearance. don't go for a smaller size grit as it will just be like paint.
the important fact is have the previous worker got the wall flat ? if so paint the wall with an acrylic primer it may need 2 coats if there is to be a colour change. leave for a week. then scrape on the acrylic. the blue handle plastic trowel from Refina is the correct trowel for finishing 1.5 acrylic.

Thanks