Hi new to you and new to plastering

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuricunHandJob

Good afternoon guy's and gal's I'm 34 and am going through the toughest time in my life, I have been diagnosed since Christmas Eve 2012 with a (Oligoastrosytoma grade 2) Brain tumour :RpS_scared:, since the Diagnosis I have been unable to do the job I loved doing the most, and that was driving Articulated Lorry's all around the UK (8 years) pulling Import/Export containers out of Southampton docks. Before that I was a Aircraft Fire Fighter in the Royal Navy. Since I have been prevented from Working I can't afford a professional to come in and do the plastering for us like already was planned for after the New Year. So I thought it would be time to concentrate on the ''home improvements'' myself, but due to being in hospital after Christmas and on Chemo for the last 2 months I couldn't be arsed doing anything :RpS_lol:. It is now the time I pulled my finger out of my bum and started some where and that place is going to be in my ''HALLWAY'' tomorrow (gulp). I am going to attempt to do what you guy's have learnt to do over the years, I am going to try plastering!!:RpS_wink: I've heard it's not an easy task but I am going to try and do one small wall to begin with! That in itself can't look any crapy than it already does (stripped wallpaper early last year then wife took ill with breast cancer, she's ok now). I've got the tools, the water and I should have the bloody patients, you seem to have a fantastic bunch of guy's on here whom I may need to seek advice from but thank you for this great website/forum keep up the good work. I will post photos of my work (hopefully lol) if all goes well. Fingers crossed I'm due some good luck.

Hiya,

Wow what crap year I am glad you are on the mend :)

I am sure there will be plenty of people along to give you advice and help....

Danny

If you get really stuck I live not far so can always come lend a hand.... although I am busy the next few weekends

Wow you really aint had much luck pal and yet still sound so positive, well best of luck with your plastering and everything else

Welcome HHJ, you've had such a bad run of it. All the best to you and your wife. If I lived near by I would team up with danny and lend a hand. Let us know what the waals look like after you've stripped them. If they're not too bad you might get away with electric sanding them and a bit of filler which may be neater than giving plastering a go. There's also that smooth over stuff but its about £30 a tub so would just use that if the walls need a bit more attention than filler. It salos easy to sand down but wear a dust mask!! (I used this beforw i was plastering in my sisters house and worked out ok.

All the best with it :RpS_thumbup:

Welcome HHJ, you've had such a bad run of it. All the best to you and your wife. If I lived near by I would team up with danny and lend a hand. Let us know what the waals look like after you've stripped them. If they're not too bad you might get away with electric sanding them and a bit of filler which may be neater than giving plastering a go. There's also that smooth over stuff but its about £30 a tub so would just use that if the walls need a bit more attention than filler. It salos easy to sand down but wear a dust mask!! (I used this beforw i was plastering in my sisters house and worked out ok.

All the best with it :RpS_thumbup:
smoothover jess !!!!.:RpS_scared:

ya alreet HHJ, Jess could be right post pics of walls first cos you might be able to get away with a bag of easy fill and sand them down a bag costs about 18 quid but could save u a load of hassle in the long run.

Thank you so much Dan & Jess (Never worry about spelling buddy). I am really wanting to give the decorating a go as I am bored stupid (plus Amanda my wife is being so supportive she deserves this to be done), its gone from being away for 6 days a week to being home all the time it has really brought me down so I need something to pull me out of this rut (they wont allow me to drive for a year and dvla have revoked my HGV licence indefinitely), I will try your great suggestion first Jess, use the sander and filler if it looks good I will take all the other stuff back. Thank you so much for your offer Dan as I said you seem to be all a great bunch on here have a good evening.

smoothover jess !!!!.:RpS_scared:

ha ha! yeah, smooth over sand paper and one fill.... what else is there?? :RpS_laugh: Alright mr snobby but if yuo can't plaster then its not too bad if the wall needs something a bit more heavy duty than one fill say. And its dead easy to use. Just expensive. for DIY purposes it aint bad

ya alreet HHJ, Jess could be right post pics of walls first cos you might be able to get away with a bag of easy fill and sand them down a bag costs about 18 quid but could save u a load of hassle in the long run.

Of course I'm right I'm a woman! :rolleyes)

Jesus mate, and after seeing Caspers beard i thought he was the only 1 having a bad year.

Chin up and crack on, all the best mt.

Good afternoon guy's and gal's I'm 34 and am going through the toughest time in my life, I have been diagnosed since Christmas Eve 2012 with a (Oligoastrosytoma grade 2) Brain tumour :RpS_scared:, since the Diagnosis I have been unable to do the job I loved doing the most, and that was driving Articulated Lorry's all around the UK (8 years) pulling Import/Export containers out of Southampton docks. Before that I was a Aircraft Fire Fighter in the Royal Navy. Since I have been prevented from Working I can't afford a professional to come in and do the plastering for us like already was planned for after the New Year. So I thought it would be time to concentrate on the ''home improvements'' myself, but due to being in hospital after Christmas and on Chemo for the last 2 months I couldn't be arsed doing anything :RpS_lol:. It is now the time I pulled my finger out of my bum and started some where and that place is going to be in my ''HALLWAY'' tomorrow (gulp). I am going to attempt to do what you guy's have learnt to do over the years, I am going to try plastering!!:RpS_wink: I've heard it's not an easy task but I am going to try and do one small wall to begin with! That in itself can't look any crapy than it already does (stripped wallpaper early last year then wife took ill with breast cancer, she's ok now). I've got the tools, the water and I should have the bloody patients, you seem to have a fantastic bunch of guy's on here whom I may need to seek advice from but thank you for this great website/forum keep up the good work. I will post photos of my work (hopefully lol) if all goes well. Fingers crossed I'm due some good luck.

sorry to hear about you being in the Navy!!. welcome to the forum marra ............:RpS_thumbup:

Wow - what an intro...... You sure seem to have had a tough year! Hope you are all on the mend .....

Post the piccies and wait for the advise if you need it.

Good Luck with all that work - try not to over do things!

ha ha! yeah, smooth over sand paper and one fill.... what else is there?? :RpS_laugh: Alright mr snobby but if yuo can't plaster then its not too bad if the wall needs something a bit more heavy duty than one fill say. And its dead easy to use. Just expensive. for DIY purposes it aint bad
oooohh
Calm down! Calm down!eh!..eh!:-0

bloody women ! ... I'll get back in the kitchen then eh
kitchenlab_zps3294bf9d.jpg

:RpS_biggrin:

Welcome along mate & good luck with everything. :RpS_thumbup:

Jcrplast could always give you a price on your hallway if you need one, they're his favourite :RpS_thumbsup:

hello m8 ,now thats a bad year, hope you get sorted , if in doubt ask im sure we will help best we can :RpS_thumbup:

Keep fighting buddy !!
As you will see there are some great people on here and they will give you as much help as you need.
Welcome to the forum
Paul

Thank you all from the heart guys, Thank you Jess, my wife took back the plaster and purchased the Easi-fix which was great stuff, it sanded down nicely I struggled with putting that on, so only god knows how I would have managed with your skill of plastering, you guys should stand tall and proud of what you all achieve every day in your work place. thank you once again. I did Lmao @ Artisan998 post.

Love the name you got on here. Where in pompey are you.. Lived in pompey all my life. If any advice i can visit and advise.sounds like this is something you want to tackle and achieve for yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.