Hi. I'm about to have my first go at rendering a 4.4 M long wall infront of my house. It is new breeze bloc on old red brick.

Members online

sailing.ben

Any tips for rendering onto breeze blocks. Also the lower half of the wall is old red brick (circa 1910)and below ground on one side with poor drainage to boot.

Planning to use 6:1:1,
plastering sand:cement:lime

Should Ipaint the wall with SBRand water mix to help adhesion and suction control?

Attachments

• 20200331_141308.jpg
    20200331_141308.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 274
Go straight on it dry just like @John j does with his dabbing. (y)
I did the scratch coat yesterday and I think the mix was too dry. It was very hard to work and had a tendancy to fall away if I was not very careful. It looks ok but I wonder what issues I may face in the future if the mix was too dry?

Attachments

• 20200403_072836.jpg
    20200403_072836.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 200
  • 20200403_072853.jpg
    20200403_072853.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 214
  • 20200403_073014.jpg
    20200403_073014.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 188
  • 20200403_073059.jpg
    20200403_073059.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 204
I did the scratch coat yesterday and I think the mix was too dry. It was very hard to work and had a tendancy to fall away if I was not very careful. It looks ok but I wonder what issues I may face in the future if the mix was too dry?
If the scratch coat was dry it will end up on the ground sooner or later no avoiding that u need to control the suction no matter how big the job is also in my opinion 6:1:1 is too weak the top coat is supposed to be slightly weaker than the scratch coat ,

Any tips for rendering onto breeze blocks. Also the lower half of the wall is old red brick (circa 1910)and below ground on one side with poor drainage to boot.

Should Ipaint the wall with SBRand water mix to help adhesion and suction control?

So I did not use SBR or any additives just sand, cement and lime onto a well damped wall. It was a struggle because I think I was not putting enough water in the mix which made it very hard tonspread on the wall.

Anyway I got it on there and it looks ok. I just wonder if it is ok? Is there any good adhesion test I can do before putting on the float?

Thanks in advance,
If the scratch coat was dry it will end up on the ground sooner or later no avoiding that u need to control the suction no matter how big the job is also in my opinion 6:1:1 is too weak the top coat is supposed to be slightly weaker than the scratch coat ,
To be clear. The mix was a bit dry the wall was not. I think the wall was properly damp and ready. But thanks for your advice

So I did not use SBR or any additives just sand, cement and lime onto a well damped wall. It was a struggle because I think I was not putting enough water in the mix which made it very hard tonspread on the wall.

Anyway I got it on there and it looks ok. I just wonder if it is ok? Is there any good adhesion test I can do before putting on the float?

Thanks in advance,

To be clear. The mix was a bit dry the wall was not. I think the wall was properly damp and ready. But thanks for your advice
Fair enough. When it’s fully cured try scrap a bit off with a trowel if it comes away easy you will have trouble down the line ,also on a scratch coat I never use lime only the top coat has lime that said each to there own ,also galvanise corner bead will rust through in time and finally your ratio is a little weak fair play for having a go ,I’m not having a go at you I’m at this 30 years just trying to give a bit of advice

Fair enough. When it’s fully cured try scrap a bit off with a trowel if it comes away easy you will have trouble down the line ,also on a scratch coat I never use lime only the top coat has lime that said each to there own ,also galvanise corner bead will rust through in time and finally your ratio is a little weak fair play for having a go ,I’m not having a go at you I’m at this 30 years just trying to give a bit of advice
Thanks very much! Never thought you were having a go. I have wet it 4 times today and it is feeling much better i think the suspect areas were the edges where my poor mix and poor technique meant that I could not get good pressure on it as I applied. I am thinking of float coating on Monday. Then it would have had 3 days to cure. But I am interested to know if there is a maximum time that you would not want to exceed before floating? Also would you add any additives to the float coat or is the lime just the job? Cheers.

Thanks very much! Never thought you were having a go. I have wet it 4 times today and it is feeling much better i think the suspect areas were the edges where my poor mix and poor technique meant that I could not get good pressure on it as I applied. I am thinking of float coating on Monday. Then it would have had 3 days to cure. But I am interested to know if there is a maximum time that you would not want to exceed before floating? Also would you add any additives to the float coat or is the lime just the job? Cheers.
As for the amount of time no once you don’t leave it for years ,a couple of weeks or a month or so there would be no bother ,as for additives i always use a bit of waterproofer in the mix it gives it some body and nice workability,in a small Bella mixer I would add about half a normal tea cup ,and put it in the first bucket of water and stir it up to mix it through the water if u just throw in the half cup of waterproofer into the mixer it won’t mix through properly, I hope this helps

U need a capping on the wall if u are going to render it.

Hello again,

On the good advice of Johnzo I let it cure for 4 days then had a go at removing it by trowel and it came off relatively easily so I made the call to remove the lot.

New plan is to use Bostic SBR and water to prime the wall. Then use 5:1 with Everbuild Admix for scratch then 6:1:1 sand, cement, lime for float. Not planning to use waterproofer.

Also my copings arrive today so I will get them inplace first.

How does this sound to you chaps?

Cheers

Attachments

• 20200408_165525.jpg
    20200408_165525.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 163
Hello again,

On the good advice of Johnzo I let it cure for 4 days then had a go at removing it by trowel and it came off relatively easily so I made the call to remove the lot.

New plan is to use Bostic SBR and water to prime the wall. Then use 5:1 with Everbuild Admix for scratch then 6:1:1 sand, cement, lime for float. Not planning to use waterproofer.

Also my copings arrive today so I will get them inplace first.

How does this sound to you chaps?

Cheers

Sounds about right Ben, from the bit I've learnt about rendering recently.

Choose your day though. My first attempt at doing a wall the other week started well and was looking good, then it suddenly pissed down and I had 7 bags of OCR slumping on the floor in minutes. Realised the pain a lot of the render boys on here have had over the years and it was just to tidy up a shitty wall where the bins were kept on a renter.

FairPlay for sticking it out (y)

Copings are here now so next step is to get them in place. Any pointers gratefully recieved.

Attachments

• 20200409_124658.jpg
    20200409_124658.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 176
Just a quick additional question from me. Would it be ok to spray the scratch coat render as it cures? Reason for asking - I was going to attempt a patch at the front of my house tomorrow which will be in the sun all afternoon and it’s forecast to be 23 degrees. I was hoping to get it on the wall before the sun crosses over the roof (it’s west facing wall)

giphy.gif

I got the copings on yesterday pretty happy with them. All straight and level and nicely pointed.

Attachments

• 20200410_200616.jpg
    20200410_200616.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 171