Hi all you Experienced Plasterers,

Members online

PJP

Just introducing myself to your forum. I am in the process of doing a double self build, and doing all the trades myself apart from heating. A long time goal of mine as I am retired). I have plastered bits and peices before but nothing big. I did a two week plasterers course in Croydon a couple of years ago, and I am half way through plastering one of my self builds which is an oak framed barn. I am wishing I hadn’t put the oak frame in though, as it is a pain working around it .
I thought I’d join your forum to try to learn from you Pro’s that make it look so easy ! I floated all the walls with hardwall and am using unibond pva (1:5 leaving overnight, then 3:1 as instructed on the bottle), but the suction is still bad and drawing the moisture out the multifinish too quick on a large wall (15 square metres). I guess I should have skimmed it after floating was set, but I did all the floating first, so does anybody have a solution to slow the suction down? Any advice would be really appreciated. Regards
Peter

Pre grit. Expensive but should kill the suction. Paint it on, leave it 24 hours, scrape any large clumps that stand proud then skim away.

On high suction I like to give it a coat of sbr to kill suction and a pva over the top. Skims a treat.

Just introducing myself to your forum. I am in the process of doing a double self build, and doing all the trades myself apart from heating. A long time goal of mine as I am retired). I have plastered bits and peices before but nothing big. I did a two week plasterers course in Croydon a couple of years ago, and I am half way through plastering one of my self builds which is an oak framed barn. I am wishing I hadn’t put the oak frame in though, as it is a pain working around it .
I thought I’d join your forum to try to learn from you Pro’s that make it look so easy ! I floated all the walls with hardwall and am using unibond pva (1:5 leaving overnight, then 3:1 as instructed on the bottle), but the suction is still bad and drawing the moisture out the multifinish too quick on a large wall (15 square metres). I guess I should have skimmed it after floating was set, but I did all the floating first, so does anybody have a solution to slow the suction down? Any advice would be really appreciated. Regards
Peter

why put yourself through the pain mate

I'd simply pay someone (y)

Peter
More PVA

If some PVA is good, then more must be better, mustn't it?

Knob head

Pre grit. Expensive but should kill the suction. Paint it on, leave it 24 hours, scrape any large clumps that stand proud then skim away.
Hi Powell512, Thanks for your answer, I will try it, its appreciated, Regards Peter

Jack of all master of none! There’s some right plebs in this world (y)
Hi smoother09, Yes you are right, I have always been into building and learned a lot from my old neighbour who was a builder, but have always wanted to build my own house. So now I have retired I thought why not. But where you would do the plastering in a week or two I guess, yes it takes me longer, but time is on my side and I love learning new skills but don't pretend to ever be as good as you guys. I could watch you guys work all day however because its a great artistic skill unlike any other. So I'm a happy pleb :D albeit old and knackered:llorando:!

More PVA

If some PVA is good, then more must be better, mustn't it?

Knob head
Hi Stevieo, thanks for your reply, yeh, you could say I'm a Knob head as I'm not as skilled as you guys, but wasn't sure that by using too much pva, I would loose adhesion as I don't have that experience. So thanks for the advise. regards Peter

Tight c**t.

@Cockney1 wife still on earlys
Hi John J, I guess you could say I'm Tight, as I have done all the trades apart from the heating, and I am getting pressure from the wife to finish so I got a quote for the plastering which came in at £11000......a bit of a shock, so I thought I'd battle on and besides I was looking forward to having a go and I do really enjoy it. The c**t part I would disagree with as I did check :LOL:! Regards, Peter

Hi All, I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for your responses as they all sound like great advise, it is much appreciated. regards Peter
That's it , I've read enough

@Danny , will you ban this guy , he's far to polite and adds a sprinkle of humour , what is this forum coming to

Peter , personally I'd suggest you let the hardwall completely dry , this will ensure uniform suction , 1st PVA
( wickes I assume ) 3 water to 1 PVA
Let it dry for at least an hour
Repeat
1:1 mix for sticking plaster on ( put a small patch on and see how long it takes to get tacky and then dry , should be a guide for you to know if you require more coats of PVA aim for 20 mins )
Try to plaater whilst it's tacky, you can go back over it to tidy and flatten the first coat , enjoy your project

@Danny , will you ban this guy , he's far to polite and adds a sprinkle of humour , what is this forum coming to

Peter , personally I'd suggest you let the hardwall completely dry , this will ensure uniform suction , 1st PVA
Repeat
1:1 mix for sticking plaster on ( put a small patch on and see how long it takes to get tacky and then dry , should be a guide for you to know if you require more coats of PVA aim for 20 mins )
Try to plaater whilst it's tacky, you can go back over it to tidy and flatten the first coat , enjoy your project
Hi bof, I like your humour and thanks for your suggestion, that sounds like a really sensible plan, I wish I’d thought of it myself. Really helpful. Funny, when I was 16 years old I laboured for a gang of plasterers in Hastings for a few months, great fun , and I soon found out what real work was like.......nearly killed me, but taught me a valuable lesson. I always wanted to be a plasterer, but it’s a little too late now, perhaps in my next life . Thanks again, regards, Peter

Repeat

Horrendous advise

Hi bof, I like your humour and thanks for your suggestion, that sounds like a really sensible plan, I wish I’d thought of it myself. Really helpful. Funny, when I was 16 years old I laboured for a gang of plasterers in Hastings for a few months, great fun , and I soon found out what real work was like.......nearly killed me, but taught me a valuable lesson. I always wanted to be a plasterer, but it’s a little too late now, perhaps in my next life . Thanks again, regards, Peter
You seem like a decent person so I wish you well with your project.