Hi all, hoping to find a little advice

Members online

John W

Hi all,

I was hunting around to find somewhere for a little advice on some plastering in one of our rooms that I have been avoiding since we bought it last year but with lockdown am really running out of excuses with the wife!

I have never plastered before (although have rendered external walls which I know is not the same but at least gives me a feel for it), but simply do not know enough about plastering to know if it all needs to come off for a fresh start or if there is any way to repair the plaster we have currently - it does look like the previous owner may have tried some kind of filler in places but it clearly didn't work!

The room is South West facing so gets the wind and rain hardest on the house so I "think" the problem may be a lack of damp protection or something similar as there are cracks and "bubbling" (can't think of a better word) in a number of areas of the room.

I have posted a few pictures below on the off chance someone could let me know basically how big a job this is and whether I need to strip it all off and start again or as I say if there is some technique to repair the plaster as it looks worse than it is?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

John

Attachments

• Photo 07-12-2020, 10 48 34.jpg
    Photo 07-12-2020, 10 48 34.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 196
  • Photo 07-12-2020, 10 48 24.jpg
    Photo 07-12-2020, 10 48 24.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 177
  • Photo 07-12-2020, 10 48 11.jpg
    Photo 07-12-2020, 10 48 11.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 189
  • Photo 07-12-2020, 10 47 55.jpg
    Photo 07-12-2020, 10 47 55.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 180
  • Photo 07-12-2020, 10 47 32.jpg
    Photo 07-12-2020, 10 47 32.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 188
  • Photo 07-12-2020, 10 47 19.jpg
    Photo 07-12-2020, 10 47 19.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 183
With maybe one exception they are structural cracks and not good. Looks like you have one "live" wall on the move. You are going to need a bit more than plaster and filler. Get a proper surveyor to look at it.
Or, cver it up with battens and boards, sell the house and run, denying all knowledge of the cracking. - Like my old London neighbour did.

Thanks for the feedback guys, we had a full survey done when we bought the house and the surveyor said it was nothing to worry about in the report...

With maybe one exception they are structural cracks and not good. Looks like you have one "live" wall on the move. You are going to need a bit more than plaster and filler. Get a proper surveyor to look at it.
Or, cver it up with battens and boards, sell the house and run, denying all knowledge of the cracking. - Like my old London neighbour did.

Can't run from karma :endesacuerdo:

Thanks Tapit, maybe I should give that a go first and see if it cracks back though in the next few weeks and use that as a guide to see if it needs redoing properly?

Get some decent masking tape and tape across the cracks in a few places.
If it is still moving it will split the tape.

Or wrinkle it if the crack is closing.
Nothing to worry about?? Did they say why Fck off big cracks have appeared ? or why you don't need to worry about them? If the filler cracks, then it is still moving, which is not ok.

It's an old Cottage, a couple of hundred years I think. The cracks were there when we came and looked around which is why I paid for the most in depth survey to make sure the front wall wasn't falling off!

I'd have to dig the report out but he basically said they were old cracks and there was a little movement but nothing he wouldn't expect in houses of this age in the area and nothing to worry about structurally...

Don't get me wrong I am no surveyor but just going off what we were told.

I'll try and "cover" the cracks with either tape or some caulk and see if it splits further. If it does.... Well that will be quite the New Year treat to deal with...

Thanks again guys for the input. I know it is not easy to go off a few pictures.

It's an old Cottage, a couple of hundred years I think. The cracks were there when we came and looked around which is why I paid for the most in depth survey to make sure the front wall wasn't falling off!

I'd have to dig the report out but he basically said they were old cracks and there was a little movement but nothing he wouldn't expect in houses of this age in the area and nothing to worry about structurally...

Don't get me wrong I am no surveyor but just going off what we were told.

I'll try and "cover" the cracks with either tape or some caulk and see if it splits further. If it does.... Well that will be quite the New Year treat to deal with...

Thanks again guys for the input. I know it is not easy to go off a few pictures.

What’s the outside walls like...rendered?

The outside wall is like an old flint and mortar wall with brick, no rendering. Let me see if I have a pic of the house...

It's the upstairs front & left wall as you look at the picture

Attachments

• Photo 08-12-2020, 17 37 48.jpg
    Photo 08-12-2020, 17 37 48.jpg
    660.5 KB · Views: 137
It is true that older properties can move seasonally a little bit, my own does that, but not big cracks like that.

Chrispy might have spotted the key issue there. If all else draws a blank then a bit of filler and see if it only moves a titichy bit summer and winter etc, in which case maybe it is ok.

It is true that older properties can move seasonally a little bit, my own does that, but not big cracks like that.

Chrispy might have spotted the key issue there. If all else draws a blank then a bit of filler and see if it only moves a titichy bit summer and winter etc, in which case maybe it is ok.

Plastered walls are a big deal to some because it’s out of most people’s comfort zone. Years ago, I would have spent hours repairing/patching a wall, but now would rather hack off and start again. Each job to its own merit of course.

Definitely makes sense. I'll fill it this weekend and see if it re-splits.
My cottage is over 200 years old and there are some wacking great cracks that open and close depending on the time of year. I've never stressed about it.

Plastered walls are a big deal to some because it’s out of most people’s comfort zone. Years ago, I would have spent hours repairing/patching a wall, but now would rather hack off and start again. Each job to its own merit of course.
If it's only how it looks that worry you the why not timber stud a wall just in frount of cracked walls ,not to them then board and skimm them and done . Ok you lose a ft or 2 but what's more important?

If it's only how it looks that worry you the why not timber stud a wall just in frount of cracked walls ,not to them then board and skimm them and done . Ok you lose a ft or 2 but what's more important?

you got the wrong person mate (y)