Helpppp needed

Members online

Char char

So I’ve brought a 120 year old house survey came back structurally sound but blow plaster ( original plaster ) . I have pulled all wallpaper off plaster fell off in places back to brick . So I have removed most of the loose plaster . Today the electric bloke chased the walls and said plaster is crumbling would I be better off asking the plasterer to take every wall back to brick & start again or do I ask for it to be patched .. have not got a clue as I brought the house not having a clue it would need this much work .. I stupidly thought a skim of plaster new kitchen & bathroom redecorate & we would be able to move in .,, thanks all Charlotte

I hate when people say brought a house
Is it not bought? As in buy to purchase a house?
Must be a southern thing they all say it down here
Welcome along :hola:

So I’ve brought a 120 year old house survey came back structurally sound but blow plaster ( original plaster ) . I have pulled all wallpaper off plaster fell off in places back to brick . So I have removed most of the loose plaster . Today the electric bloke chased the walls and said plaster is crumbling would I be better off asking the plasterer to take every wall back to brick & start again or do I ask for it to be patched .. have not got a clue as I brought the house not having a clue it would need this much work .. I stupidly thought a skim of plaster new kitchen & bathroom redecorate & we would be able to move in .,, thanks all Charlotte

Do you have a plasterer?

If so have you asked him?

Ohh the joys
Every house I have bought those little words money pit always crop up

that property will not be a plasterboard job fo walls either if solid wall construction, get the right people to advise & price

your welcome

here's jonny j bonding!.jpg

really need a photograph of you charlotte, health and safety regulations, damn red tape, etc
anyhoooooooooo forget about anything else and just put all your efforts into getting the plastering done first,
be carefull about taking advice off an electrician, these people cant be trusted, never seen one clean up/sweep up ,

blown plaster ( original plaster ) . I have pulled all wallpaper off plaster fell off in places back to brick . So I have removed most of the loose plaster . Today the electric bloke chased the walls and said plaster is crumbling would I be better off asking the plasterer to take every wall back to brick & start again or do I ask for it to be patched

Not saying this to be an insensitive arsehole, just saying it to give you an honest opinion:

If you patch the walls, it might last a few years more, but you're likely to experience cracks (both in the remaining old plaster and along the joins between old and new portions). You're also not going to be able to prevent the old plaster from continuing to gradually seperate from the brickwork.

If you go on youtube, you are likely to encounter videos of people embedding big sheets of render mesh (fibreglass mesh purchased in big rolls like wallpaper) into a layer of plaster that they're applying onto a cracked old plaster wall. The idea is that the render mesh will reinforce the new layer of plaster to make it less likely to crack, if the underlying old plaster degrades further. Please understand that this is not a 'proper' solution - it's a bit of a bodge, since the underlying old plaster is likely to continue to gradually seperate (blow) from the brickwork, over time, and eventually, because of the fibreglass render mesh holding everything as one, the whole bloody lot may start to come off the wall, in big sheets. Therefore, although it can be done, it's not a good idea.

So, the truthful answer (in my opinion) is that you should really bite the bullet and hack everything back to brick, to have it properly plastered.

As you can imagine, this won't be cheap, but how long do you intend to live in this house? If it's more than 5 years, it may be best to bite the bullet and pay to have it done properly.

What you have described is extremely common in Victorian / Edwardian houses. Some plasterers may advise you that they can happily skim over the top of dodgy old plaster, but then some mechanics have happily sold remoulded or part-worn tyres to car owners for decades, and they're now pretty-much banned, with good reason.

Ultimately, the decision is yours, and I can appreciate that money may be a major consideration. If you literally cannot afford to pay a plasterer to plaster from bare brickwork, then so be it, but if you're on the fence, and can just about afford to have it done properly, and plan to live in the property for many years, then you now know that the best course of action would be to hack it all back to brick and start fresh.

Lastly, please don't make the mistake of relying on 'reviews' of plasterers on sites like checkatrade, trustatrader, etc. There are some good tradespeople advertising there, but there are also far too many chancers playing the system to take naive people's money, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Not saying this to be an insensitive arsehole, just saying it to give you an honest opinion:

If you patch the walls, it might last a few years more, but you're likely to experience cracks (both in the remaining old plaster and along the joins between old and new portions). You're also not going to be able to prevent the old plaster from continuing to gradually seperate from the brickwork.

If you go on youtube, you are likely to encounter videos of people embedding big sheets of render mesh (fibreglass mesh purchased in big rolls like wallpaper) into a layer of plaster that they're applying onto a cracked old plaster wall. The idea is that the render mesh will reinforce the new layer of plaster to make it less likely to crack, if the underlying old plaster degrades further. Please understand that this is not a 'proper' solution - it's a bit of a bodge, since the underlying old plaster is likely to continue to gradually seperate (blow) from the brickwork, over time, and eventually, because of the fibreglass render mesh holding everything as one, the whole bloody lot may start to come off the wall, in big sheets. Therefore, although it can be done, it's not a good idea.

So, the truthful answer (in my opinion) is that you should really bite the bullet and hack everything back to brick, to have it properly plastered.

As you can imagine, this won't be cheap, but how long do you intend to live in this house? If it's more than 5 years, it may be best to bite the bullet and pay to have it done properly.

What you have described is extremely common in Victorian / Edwardian houses. Some plasterers may advise you that they can happily skim over the top of dodgy old plaster, but then some mechanics have happily sold remoulded or part-worn tyres to car owners for decades, and they're now pretty-much banned, with good reason.

Ultimately, the decision is yours, and I can appreciate that money may be a major consideration. If you literally cannot afford to pay a plasterer to plaster from bare brickwork, then so be it, but if you're on the fence, and can just about afford to have it done properly, and plan to live in the property for many years, then you now know that the best course of action would be to hack it all back to brick and start fresh.

Lastly, please don't make the mistake of relying on 'reviews' of plasterers on sites like checkatrade, trustatrader, etc. There are some good tradespeople advertising there, but there are also far too many chancers playing the system to take naive people's money, unfortunately.
Plus it's cheaper to knock off yourself and give trades no excuses

If your stopping there do job right and take it all off

You.ve way to much time

You.ve way to much time

:LOL: John, I'm not sure how long you think it takes to type a few paragraphs, but that only took me 5 minutes or so, with a brief edit, after a couple of minutes reflection, to add the bit about not trusting online reviews. Hardly a big chunk of my life. (y)

Sometimes, it's nice to make an effort to help someone before they pay a chancer to do a chancer's method.

:LOL: John, I'm not sure how long you think it takes to type a few paragraphs, but that only took me 5 minutes or so, with a brief edit, after a couple of minutes reflection, to add the bit about not trusting online reviews. Hardly a big chunk of my life. (y)

Sometimes, it's nice to make an effort to help someone before they pay a chancer to do a chancer's method.
DO IT AGAIN WITHOUT THE WAFFLE AND BRING IT IN AT 40 WORDS. D-

Absolutely spot on, and the house 100% needs plaster taken off