Help

I.a.n

Hi, i recently had my kitchen replastered and i been advised to use a mist coat once the plaster as dried, so can i paint silk over the mist coat? If so how long after? Can anyone advise me on this please.. many thanks

Hi, i recently had my kitchen replastered and i been advised to use a mist coat once the plaster as dried, so can i paint silk over the mist coat? If so how long after? Can anyone advise me on this please.. many thanks
Paintersforum.com

Try " Astramax " on screwfix forum
The top bloke for any painting and decorating

Ffs

Yes you can. .

Mist coat with any old cheap shite emulsion watered down a bit. People say different things about the perfect ratio but it doesn't matter too much. Half and half or thereabouts. All you're doing is hydrating the wall as you apply your first coat to stop it drying too quickly.

If you don't, you'll end up with snots that won't roller out and it might peel, especially if the plasterer left it all shiny.

And that's it, you're good to go. Paint away. Knock yourself out.

Mist coat is ready to paint almost immediately but hey ho it's your house so leave it a day if you want.

I use acrylic primer to mist coat. Anything will go over that no problem. Contract matt is a bit chalky and not suitable for modern durable paints silk. Only use contract matt if you want to allow the walls to continue to dry out. God awful stuff that's rough but has its uses I guess but I will never buy again.
If you watch this the 3 different types of paint are covered and mist coating. If I was doing though I go for the acrylic primer as it dries quick and covers and seals. Silk drying times are way too long and awful stuff to mist coat with. Although this is a matt paint your question is answered if you watch. You can get acrylic primer tinted to which helps for colours..

Ffs

Yes you can. .

Mist coat with any old cheap shite emulsion watered down a bit. People say different things about the perfect ratio but it doesn't matter too much. Half and half or thereabouts. All you're doing is hydrating the wall as you apply your first coat to stop it drying too quickly.

If you don't, you'll end up with snots that won't roller out and it might peel, especially if the plasterer left it all shiny.

And that's it, you're good to go. Paint away. Knock yourself out.

Mist coat is ready to paint almost immediately but hey ho it's your house so leave it a day if you want.

Phhhhhh pensioners paint quicker than you remeber care taker boy!

I use acrylic primer to mist coat.

I do the same, and I know many professional decorators do, too.

That's not a slight against anyone who uses other methods, but I learned of using acrylic primer for mist-coating (thinned by approx 20%), a couple of years ago, and I've since found it to be a very reliable method (y)