Help with plastered ceiling please

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenjulief

[h=2]Help with plastered ceiling[/h]
Hi - my name is Julie and I've registered as I would really appreciate some help with a plastered ceiling problem from the craftsmen amongst you.

18 months ago I had nearly all my house replastered ie. ceilings and walls to enable me to emulsion when I needed to. A couple of months back my front room, and bedroom above, started to show signs of cracking below the bay and up alongside the window. In addition, my dining room also started to crack (not in straight lines but from the door way towards the garden), and the bedroom above. About a week ago the dining room ceiling started to shed bits that landed on the carpet. Both the front room and dining room are artexed (about 18 years plus). The two upper bedrooms have plain ceilings.

So, I contacted my insurance company and visually they accept some movement to the front of the house - tests to be carried out - a big council tree on the pavement. But re the back - there are cracks up the wall (could be lintel problem above patio doors), but no vegetation close enough, so they will carry out the same tests near to drain.

Now can anyone help with my question please. I've been told that the reason for cracking, falling small bits of plaster (the size of one's hand) is that the artex (you can see the original ceiling with a crack in it), covered by fresh plaster 18 months ago, is debonding. Therefore I'm not covered on my insurance.

In preparation for this, I rang the guy who did the plastering and he told me that any cracks would have appeared within 3 days of carrying out the work. As there were no cracks to begin with, he replastered. If the coving had cracked (ceiling to wall), I had movement in the house. In the dining room and above bedroom, the coving has opened in corner joints like on the breast, and I'm sure there are some cracks in other joints. When I mentioned this to the surveyor, she said one shouldn't cove ceiling to wall. He should have tapped the ceiling and advised me to have had it removed. By removing the coving (original) and replacing it with B&Q coving could have disturbed the ceiling, and caused it to crack. Likewise the weight of the plaster.

I accept I need to wait for the tests, but I don't understand the technicalities, so any help much appreciated.

Kind regards, Julie​

Hmm sounds like movement have you had any trees cut down, have you spoke to your neighbours to see if they had any problems has any work been done ie loft conversion?
Bloody insurance grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr maybe post a few pics.

Hi Julie
No quick fixes on this one I am afraid, you will have to wait until the house stops moving. Then remove the new coving and overboard the ceilings with new plasterboard and re-plaster.
Then fit new coving.

Is your house pre war?

Status
Not open for further replies.