Help with insulation please :)

Members online

Hi . Just wondering if anyone can provide any advice . We are currently renovating a cottage which is approx 350 years old . We’re just at the stage of starting to insulate and we’re advised to batten out and insulate that way therefore hiding all pipework etc . However , I’ve recently read an article and have been put off that idea as worried about trapping in the moisture . I’ve read about hemp lime plaster and like that idea as it apparently allows walls the breathe etc but not sure how we would hide pipework ? So confused , please help !

Where are you based ? DO NOT BATTEN OUT AND INSULATE!!!!!!!!
You should use only breathable plaster/render on the wall. Hemp lime is good, but in your case lime with cork might be best. Another option is Bauwer light , which in my opinion is best.All 3 are breathable and insulating renders .

Where are you based ? DO NOT BATTEN OUT AND INSULATE!!!!!!!!
You should use only breathable plaster/render on the wall. Hemp lime is good, but in your case lime with cork might be best. Another option is Bauwer light , which in my opinion is best.All 3 are breathable and insulating renders .
Knew you and smarties would have the answer!

How thick are the walls? If you can, core through some vents and then stud/batten and insulate.

Otherwise you'll have to use a lime based plaster and freeze to death in winter.

I'm guessing that there's no heritage/listed status on the building. Better check in case you pay for work and then pay for it to be ripped out again.

How thick are the walls? If you can, core through some vents and then stud/batten and insulate.

Otherwise you'll have to use a lime based plaster and freeze to death in winter.

I'm guessing that there's no heritage/listed status on the building. Better check in case you pay for work and then pay for it to be ripped out again.
Why bother with battens when he can go strait with bonding ?