Help with getting into Microciment

Jonnoc

Ok lads, I’m after a little help with with how to go about getting into the Microciment game. Looks like there is a gap in the market around me with not many doing it. So how long a course do you recommend I do? What kit do I need on top of my plastering gear and how much is it going to cost me? And what am I going to be able to charge per day (currently in about £220 a day where I am)? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi mate , first off I'd do a course and learn the basics. Do at least 5 days to get the most out of it and learn as much as you can. Tools wise your mainly looking at some different trowels. They are smaller than the average plastering trowel. Some trainers use different whisk heads for mixing but generally as long as its clean a standard plastering mixer head is ok. Regarding money it's difficult to say as many factors or different micro cement work can change the price of what you make a day. Working in corners and niches will take more time than open wall areas etc. I can tell you that if you are any good at it you will earn more than your on now. Plus the satisfaction in work is different. You skim a wall and its pretty much the same as any other then the painter comes along and brings it to life. With this you get the finished product, your trowel movements make the pattern that is seen forever with whatever colour its made from. Definitely more job satisfaction.

Main difference with this is anything near or in a wet area. If you get it wrong it's on you as the applicator. I know of a couple of lads who have lost money on jobs having to go back and fix or pay someone else to fix where they have gone wrong. It's normally down to product knowledge and limitation, understanding how sealers work etc. Don't want to put you off but it is something to think about. I would start on walls and floors that aren't in wet areas such as showers and wet rooms until you gain loads of product knowledge and get comfortable with what it can do (or can't do).

@BobbyJack
Thanks for taking time to reply, much appreciate mate. A couple more questions for anyone that fancies answering. Has anyone got recommendations for courses (can be anywhere, travelling not a problem)? And is it a one man game, or is it good to work in pairs or purely depends on the size of the job?

@BobbyJack
Thanks for taking time to reply, much appreciate mate. A couple more questions for anyone that fancies answering. Has anyone got recommendations for courses (can be anywhere, travelling not a problem)? And is it a one man game, or is it good to work in pairs or purely depends on the size of the job?
goldtrowel had a great venetian course... I think when you can do one you can do the other

Ok lads, I’m after a little help with with how to go about getting into the Microciment game. Looks like there is a gap in the market around me with not many doing it. So how long a course do you recommend I do? What kit do I need on top of my plastering gear and how much is it going to cost me? And what am I going to be able to charge per day (currently in about £220 a day where I am)? Any advice would be much appreciated.

@BobbyJack
Hi mate,

I would train and start off on your own doing small works and see how you get on and then muck in with other applicators.where are you based?

Thanks @Danny, I’ll look into Goldentrowel, it’s actually where I did my initial plastering course. Also been looking at Seamless Surface Academy & a Cimentart one in Sheffield. I’m in South Wales @plas1 . I don’t know anyone else doing it, hence why thinking of doing it, but a mate is toy about doing it too.

Goldtrowel also do microcement course. Pretty much most jobs in micro can be done solo. If it's getting sizely then more people are required same as any big job. I thing working in pairs is always better just like most jobs but also specifically if you come across a problem the other person might have a way to deal with it that you haven't thought of.

Thanks @Danny, I’ll look into Goldentrowel, it’s actually where I did my initial plastering course. Also been looking at Seamless Surface Academy & a Cimentart one in Sheffield. I’m in South Wales @plas1 . I don’t know anyone else doing it, hence why thinking of doing it, but a mate is toy about doing it too.
Give it ago mate it's worth it.Personally I would go for forcrete,however there waiting list is long.Microcement is very popular now and theres a big market for it especially if you market well but be prepared to invest I would say.