Help with Egg shell effect lol

Danthenovice

Hi everyone im new to this so please go gentle.
I’ve just brought a house that is in need of a lot of plastering and I’m attempting to do it myself. I’m confident in doing it but I plastered a wall today and it’s all started to crack like egg shell. I know this is more then likely down to drying to quick, my question is tho, can I just skim back over it again or do I PVA first then skim it? The plaster hasn’t lifted anywhere just cracked.
Any advice will be appreciated.

Regards Dan

I’ve just brought a house that is in need of a lot of plastering and I’m attempting to do it myself. I’m confident in doing it but I plastered a wall today and it’s all started to crack like egg shell. I know this is more then likely down to drying to quick, my question is tho, can I just skim back over it again or do I PVA first then skim it? The plaster hasn’t lifted anywhere just cracked.

Regards Dan
Please don't take this the wrong way (because @Danny has asked us to be nice) but why do you "feel confident of doing it" when you clearly have no understanding of how plaster works?
Genuine question.

Regards Dan
It would definitely need pva don’t skim over dry unsealed surfaces.

Did you pva the surface before you skimmed it , if not scrape the lot off and start again

You'd be better with knauf fill and finish, put it on then rub it down. Brewers usually stocks it or SDM or DDC

Please don't take this the wrong way (because @Danny has asked us to be nice) but why do you "feel confident of doing it" when you clearly have no understanding of how plaster works?
Genuine question.

What I mean is I’m confident putting it on the walls and getting it flat just unsure about certain things that’s all,
Everyone had to start somewhere

You already know the answer.
Take it off. Pva the area, let it get tacky, then Pva again, don’t miss a single bit.
Then have another go.
Then ring a plasterer to do again, but this time smooth.
Or,........lower your expectations and put up with the finish you end up with.
All the very best.
Dropsalot.

Whats guide line weveljjj skimmed over pvad walls a few days after em being pvad. But is there a lengh of time when you have to pva again.
Me personally go on it dry few days wouldn’t bother me either but some of the old school insist it should be tacky

Me personally go on it dry few days wouldn’t bother me either but some of the old school insist it should be tacky
Would you say though once its dry it could be left for a year . Bit of a grey area really . I got taught to wait till it was tacky

I've always tried to pva all areas and skim when dry as always better but I rarely using pva anymorr as always talk clients into gritting and that they can do it.Saves me faffing about doing it and they think there saving money so happy days.

From my bit of experience over last few years, I've found skimming while tacky, is OK ish if surface has pretty even suction all over to start with. At least then its drying out at a similar rate and you don't suddenly get a wetter patch and the gear starts tearing. Just my 2pence worth...I'll get me coat :aburrido: