Help understanding differences in quotes

Members online

Deb08

Hi,
I hope someone can help me.
We have an old bungalow (very little scaffolding?) that requires re-rendering. The old render is mostly secure there's just a few patches that require repair but because its old there are a few quirks to the job like wonky walls.
So far we've had 3 companies around to quote, they all used different products but the price variation was massive, I can't believe it was the product causing the difference in price. The manufactures the renderers used were Weathertex, K-Rend and Eco-rend. I know very little about the products and didn't pick the companies based on the products, they were all working in the neighbourhood and the jobs they were doing looked alright to me.
The job is about 80-100sq meters (that me just counting round the house and adding a bit on for luck), but the prices quoted range from £1,900 to £5,000. I'm not looking for the cheapest person I just want a good job for about the right price. Any advice on the products, whether the products could make that kind of difference in price, or which end of the range seems to be in the right ball park would be much appriciated - I don't ask for much do i ;-)

Thanks
Deb

Hi,
We have an old bungalow (very little scaffolding?) that requires re-rendering. The old render is mostly secure there's just a few patches that require repair but because its old there are a few quirks to the job like wonky walls.
So far we've had 3 companies around to quote, they all used different products but the price variation was massive, I can't believe it was the product causing the difference in price. The manufactures the renderers used were Weathertex, K-Rend and Eco-rend. I know very little about the products and didn't pick the companies based on the products, they were all working in the neighbourhood and the jobs they were doing looked alright to me.
The job is about 80-100sq meters (that me just counting round the house and adding a bit on for luck), but the prices quoted range from £1,900 to £5,000. I'm not looking for the cheapest person I just want a good job for about the right price. Any advice on the products, whether the products could make that kind of difference in price, or which end of the range seems to be in the right ball park would be much appriciated - I don't ask for much do i ;-)

Thanks
Deb

All 3 prices ridiculous cheap the 1900 price is off the scale genuinley dont know how that is even possible.

All 3 prices ridiculous cheap the 1900 price is off the scale genuinley dont know how that is even possible.
It’s just some knob mate giving a price same round here sometimes I just ignore these prices its there first ever job

Hi,

Thanks
Deb
Another quick question debs any pics and did u ever live in Dallas! Please don’t disappoint us x

Hi,

Thanks
Deb
In all fairness the 3 products you mention are not the greatest there are better products available. You don’t mention hacking off just a few repairs? My advice would be to completely remove and go back to the substrate. For the size of the job you’ve got, depending on what render and finish your looking for ie monocouche, ocr ready to be painted or a silicone system , without seeing it I’d assume the starting price would be no less than £7k supply and fit. What part of the country you live may also play a factor in prices too.

I'm guessing the 1900 is the weathertex option i.e. Just a paint based coating, it's not a rendering option.

In all fairness the 3 products you mention are not the greatest there are better products available. You don’t mention hacking off just a few repairs? My advice would be to completely remove and go back to the substrate. For the size of the job you’ve got, depending on what render and finish your looking for ie monocouche, ocr ready to be painted or a silicone system , without seeing it I’d assume the starting price would be no less than £7k supply and fit. What part of the country you live may also play a factor in prices too.
Yes it's all a bit vague, it doesn't mention if it's hacking off, figures including vat, downpipes, electrics etc to remove, what kind of access,skips etc.

thanks all for your replies.
We initially asked for the existing render removing but all 3 advised against that so I believed their way was the right way. They said there wasn’t any point as the majority of the render was firm so would just knock off and repair the loose bits and apply a mesh to stop further cracks.

Can’t tell without any pictures so it’s guess work. Take a look at there previous jobs and get references for piece of mind.

I hope these pictures help a bit. There’s a bit more to do but this is the vast majority of the work - maybe 5sqm that was difficult to photograph.
Thanks for all your help.
7E038096-4D17-4C47-94A9-7A313F120342.jpeg
DCFEB8F2-B490-4089-86EA-A232056AC13D.jpeg

I’ve been to look at the completed houses in the area. I can’t really tell much difference. Is what you see what what you get? I can’t really tell if it’ll be ok in 5 or 10 years.

Are they estimating to put a thin coat system over it ?
The previous quotes were for a thin coat system. After reading lots of posts on here I’m now waiting on a new quote from a nice chap who is quoting to knock off the original render and ‘thick’ coat - I don’t know what that one is called.

The previous quotes were for a thin coat system. After reading lots of posts on here I’m now waiting on a new quote from a nice chap who is quoting to knock off the original render and ‘thick’ coat - I don’t know what that one is called.

Why are you re rendering?

If you hack that all off it's going to be a 10-15K re render with lime.

If you go over the top with a thin coat system around 7.5K

If it were me I would go with a nice Italian looking lime render on that one...and put some drainage in around the building, could sort the windows out as well maybe go for contrast bands.

Got to be honest here Debs...if you wanted attention to detail and a 'by the book job' with quality materials it's going to be around 15K (southern prices)

Chimney, phone cables, external lights, wonky everything...
You need a proper good team who really care to do that job! What FreeD said even up to 20k
Failing that... buy some cement, lime, plasterers sand and tools and repair patch yourself as you go round the dealing with worst? up to £500

Last edited:
I'd love to see the end result of what £1900 gets you

Thanks for replying.

To answer the ‘why are we rendering’ question well I think we just want it to look smart, and where cracks have developed have them fixed. There’s also an extension not quite on the photos that was rendered with K rend and we wanted to match it up.

Your suggestions sound lovely with the Italian lime render but our budget just wouldn’t be able to stretch to £15k :-(

Whatever you use , still might crack anyway , nothing is crack free, all you can do is hopefully minimise the cracking !

Would it make you feel better if I said 'savings account' ;)
It’s just me personally! But It would make me feel better if you just agreed to a price someone quoted and paid what they wanted to do the job instead of throwing the word budget about! As soon as that’s mentioned it means I don’t want to pay what the jobs worth. If I hear that word even mentioned then personally I don’t want to know the job no matter what.

It’s just me personally! But It would make me feel better if you just agreed to a price someone quoted and paid what they wanted to do the job instead of throwing the word budget about! As soon as that’s mentioned it means I don’t want to pay what the jobs worth. If I hear that word even mentioned then personally I don’t want to know the job no matter what.

I am the same, mention ‘budget’ and its down to the cheapest gets it. I do price but as I don’t stand a chance I price generously.

You might be good, be fully insured, gives detailed quotes and invoices, takes bacs, full documented warranty and employ legitimately but the cash in hand , no paperwork lads will win and then when it ends up in tears they want sympathy.

With the above making cracks good will not work, you need to see what caused the crack and fix it or it will come back

Thanks for replying.

To answer the ‘why are we rendering’ question well I think we just want it to look smart, and where cracks have developed have them fixed. There’s also an extension not quite on the photos that was rendered with K rend and we wanted to match it up.

Your suggestions sound lovely with the Italian lime render but our budget just wouldn’t be able to stretch to £15k :-(

Hi Debs

We have had a few 'on a budget' come onto the forum we would advise to tread carefully and make sure you have seen previous works and get a guarantee.

We have had a few people who have decided against rendering and have opted for growing a nice creeper over the existing, this will hide the existing and the roots will grow into all the cracks and plug them. If you choose a nice creeper it can really look nice ascetically

Screenshot 2020-06-03 at 22.27.51.png