Help required

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

sujo4949

Hi

New to this so please be gentle.
Damp started showing low down on a couple of walls or my 1930s end terraced. Started hacking the plaster off ready to pay a plasterer to come sort it after id had the dpc done. A builder friend informed me that the plaster had been done right to the floor which was asphalted, so this might be why it was slightly damp. Id already started taking plaster off so with no sight of an old dpc thought id carry on and get the whole job done in one.
Now here is where im getting confused. One plasterer wants to use sand/cement and another has said he will use bonding then skim over.
Whos the cowboy or are both ok ways of tackling the job?
Any advice would be helpful so i know what to avoid.

Needs to be sand and cement with a waterproofer. Bonding should never be used where there has been a damp issue, tell him to sling his hook.

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

Bonding is never to be used near damp walls let alone to plaster over them, it creates a permanent sponge to hold the moisture in the plaster, sand/ cement with a decent water proofer and cut off about 40 mm from a solid floor.

Cant beleive someone would be stupid enough to use bonding anywhere near damp works. Waterproof sand&cement but also spray walls with antisulphate first and allow to dry over night.

Walls should be injected with a chemical DPC,then sand and cement with waterproofer thuroseal ,sand and cement with waterproofer and skim ,the guy that said bonding should be shot with his own balls of sh1te

Hi

New to this so please be gentle.
Damp started showing low down on a couple of walls or my 1930s end terraced. Started hacking the plaster off ready to pay a plasterer to come sort it after id had the dpc done. A builder friend informed me that the plaster had been done right to the floor which was asphalted, so this might be why it was slightly damp. Id already started taking plaster off so with no sight of an old dpc thought id carry on and get the whole job done in one.
Now here is where im getting confused. One plasterer wants to use sand/cement and another has said he will use bonding then skim over.
Whos the cowboy or are both ok ways of tackling the job?
Any advice would be helpful so i know what to avoid.

As this was probably a case of 'cold bridging' you don't need any damp proofing treatment at all. In fact you've 'cured' it by taking the bottom of the wall off. Yes - replace with sand and cement not bonding, and look into insulating your walls, either internally or externally :RpS_thumbup:

No sign of a DPC bubbles ,that's why I was suggesting injecting chemical DPC ,what yea think?

As this was probably a case of 'cold bridging' you don't need any damp proofing treatment at all. In fact you've 'cured' it by taking the bottom of the wall off. Yes - replace with sand and cement not bonding, and look into insulating your walls, either internally or externally :RpS_thumbup:
Best to do it with waterproof while at this stage.

No sign of a DPC bubbles ,that's why I was suggesting injecting chemical DPC ,what yea think?

Know what you're saying but - without being disrespectful to the OP - if you're not familiar with cold bridging would you know what a dpc from a 1930's house looked like? Bitumen or slate probably, but it might not be too obvious. My point being, would a dpc be neccesary if it's only cold bridging, seeing as that would be condensation, not 'damp' in what would already be a cold room with [probably] 2 walls exposed to the elements??

Know what you're saying but - without being disrespectful to the OP - if you're not familiar with cold bridging would you know what a dpc from a 1930's house looked like? Bitumen or slate probably, but it might not be too obvious. My point being, would a dpc be neccesary if it's only cold bridging, seeing as that would be condensation, not 'damp' in what would already be a cold room with [probably] 2 walls exposed to the elements??

I think it may not be the cause ,but if he is going to do the job ,and strip the wall he may as well cover all possibilities of damp whether condensation or capillary action ,or he could end up growing mushrooms behind those warm boards

I think it may not be the cause ,but if he is going to do the job ,and strip the wall he may as well cover all possibilities of damp whether condensation or capillary action ,or he could end up growing mushrooms behind those warm boards

Well if I've read the OP correctly, he's already had a dpc injected and stripped the wall anyhow, so as I said in reply to johnnyboy, there's nowt wrong with a bit of waterproofing too.
But a good DP company would have specced that. They would have also kindly pointed out the plaster to the cold floor being the first thing to eliminate, but that would mean they couldn't sell a damp proof system :-0

Well if I've read the OP correctly, he's already had a dpc injected and stripped the wall anyhow, so as I said in reply to johnnyboy, there's nowt wrong with a bit of waterproofing too.
But a good DP company would have specced that. They would have also kindly pointed out the plaster to the cold floor being the first thing to eliminate, but that would mean they couldn't sell a damp proof system :-0

My apology bubbles ,he just mentioned no sign of old DPC ,after he had had the DPC only done ,so bottom line is ,insulate ,and don't use bonding ☺️

I'm glad this thread came up coz I'm doing up this house to rent and it's got a similar problem, damp only showing through now though. When we took the place over it had been converted into two flats ( badly!) and the guy who did it ran out of money and left it in a state. Anyway he cut a hole in the side of the house for the upstairs flat and fitted a door. We took over the property in the spring and are converting it back to a three bed house. We took out the door and replaced it with a glass panel with safety glass in and put a vertical dpc up the side of the reveal before we closed it using cut blocks and s&c. Then put beads on and used bonding to fill out then skimmed. Now a little damp patch is showing through so it might be the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.