Help please.

Members online

C1992

Hi guys, I'm new to plastering and have just done one of them hated 4 day courses. (Don't worry, I'm not planning on doing it full time). If any of you nice gentlemen could answer any of the below it would be much appreciated, sooo;

How would you plaster an old cracked and crumbling plaster wall? (without boarding or taking off the existing plaster)

What plasterboard & plaster is the norm to use on an average room?

What plasterboard & plaster is the norm for attic bedrooms?

What plasterboard & plaster is the norm for kitchens/bathrooms?

Would you remove old plaster from lath and then board on top of the lath?

How would you do an artex ceiling?

What would you do about big gaps in plasterboard? (without taking it down and starting again)

Hi guys, I'm new to plastering and have just done one of them hated 4 day courses. (Don't worry, I'm not planning on doing it full time). If any of you nice gentlemen could answer any of the below it would be much appreciated, sooo;

How would you plaster an old cracked and crumbling plaster wall? (without boarding or taking off the existing plaster)

What would you do about big gaps in plasterboard? (without taking it down and starting again)
Just do best you can and decorators will get the rest (y)

How would you How would you do an artex ceiling?

Pva 1 part pva 9 part water

Mix up 3 bags really stiff 1 coat it

Perfect every time

5C2FE769-B81A-4907-B094-A9523A22579B.jpeg
80166758-7AE7-4984-9BA9-FAEE15A4EFAF.jpeg

f**k off and start again !

So many questions so little time,,,,,,

Have you just bought a fixer upper?

How did they teach you to fix beads
Did they say to skim PVA dry

Appreciate some of the actual helpful answers and time put in to read my post. (Smoother09 and lurpak) Just to answer some of the above questions; the course was - here's some plasterboard (already set up for you). Use multi-finish and then showed the basic techniques of pressure and angle. Very little was taught about repairs, regs, and the actual putting plasterboard up. As said above I know I wont be a plasterer overnight and would never get to a professional level. To answer "JessthePlasterer" , yeah we have bought a fixer upper and don't want to spend lots of money on it hence my questions. I have plasterboarded the whole house and used angle bead where needed (yes we was taught this). But as it's my first time I have left gaps inbetween some of the plasterboard of around 1cm. Also two of the rooms have artex on the celling. The reason I asked about plasterboard is I have used Gyproc moisture plasterboard in the bathroom but was confused at the other varieties and assumed that maybe they are for attic rooms (fire proof) etc but was not told the regs or if these were a recommendation rather than a must. I also ask about the lath and plaster as I have stripped the second floor of plaster and boarded ontop of the laths (as I presume this would make it more insulated and soundproof) but was wanting to know if this was correct? But also my living room is plastered onto brick but it crumbles in places and wanted to know rather than stripping it back to brick and dot and dabbing could I not bond and skim? As I say any help would be much appreciated and not too sure why the negative comments?

Reactions: kiy
If the course firm was any good you should be able to ring and ask them these questions. I don't get how they didn't even get you putting up plasterboard correctly, a fundamental these days. Everybody on a 4 day course is probably a fixer upper of some sort - give 'em some feedback!

Buy a machine
Spray the lot
@Plasterers1StopShop will give you a decent price
(I'll take 15% cheers Ryan).

Appreciate some of the actual helpful answers and time put in to read my post. (Smoother09 and lurpak) Just to answer some of the above questions; the course was - here's some plasterboard (already set up for you). Use multi-finish and then showed the basic techniques of pressure and angle. Very little was taught about repairs, regs, and the actual putting plasterboard up. As said above I know I wont be a plasterer overnight and would never get to a professional level. To answer "JessthePlasterer" , yeah we have bought a fixer upper and don't want to spend lots of money on it hence my questions. I have plasterboarded the whole house and used angle bead where needed (yes we was taught this). But as it's my first time I have left gaps inbetween some of the plasterboard of around 1cm. Also two of the rooms have artex on the celling. The reason I asked about plasterboard is I have used Gyproc moisture plasterboard in the bathroom but was confused at the other varieties and assumed that maybe they are for attic rooms (fire proof) etc but was not told the regs or if these were a recommendation rather than a must. I also ask about the lath and plaster as I have stripped the second floor of plaster and boarded ontop of the laths (as I presume this would make it more insulated and soundproof) but was wanting to know if this was correct? But also my living room is plastered onto brick but it crumbles in places and wanted to know rather than stripping it back to brick and dot and dabbing could I not bond and skim? As I say any help would be much appreciated and not too sure why the negative comments?
I don't want to share my knowledge with you:burlas:

I would take off the blown bits and patch it in with Bonding coat or hardwall.... I would actually probably take the lot off and re float it out with hardwall

12.5mm plasterboard and British gypsums Multi finish

I used same plasterboard and plaster throughout

Normal Board and skim...

In my house I would remove all the old lath and plaster and reboard and skim the ceilings and on the walls I would float them out :D

I lightly scrape them back pva them a few times wait for that to dry and then skim them... if the texture is a bit heavy then a couple of handfuls of bonding in the first coat of skim will help.

Depends really... they will need filling... you can either stick plasterboard behind the gaps then bond out and fill or cover the holes with scrim tape and fill up with finish/bonding

These are obviously general... hard to give exact answer to vague questions D

I would take off the blown bits and patch it in with Bonding coat or hardwall.... I would actually probably take the lot off and re float it out with hardwall

12.5mm plasterboard and British gypsums Multi finish

Thank you Danny!, that's very much appreciated I will

I used same plasterboard and plaster throughout

Normal Board and skim...

In my house I would remove all the old lath and plaster and reboard and skim the ceilings and on the walls I would float them out :D

I lightly scrape them back pva them a few times wait for that to dry and then skim them... if the texture is a bit heavy then a couple of handfuls of bonding in the first coat of skim will help.

Depends really... they will need filling... you can either stick plasterboard behind the gaps then bond out and fill or cover the holes with scrim tape and fill up with finish/bonding

These are obviously general... hard to give exact answer to vague questions D

Thank you Danny! Its very much appreciated, I will give it a go. Thank you again, there is some nice people still about :)