Help please gents

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpankySouthport

Private Member
Need to quote on soundproofing board that can be D & D, what's the best for the right money?

Cheers

or would you recommend studding out first to achieve much better soundproofing? It with an adjoining wall in a semi detached single skin brick or maybe block...

Last edited:
Think a soundproof wall needs to be as independent as possible marra so dabs all over the wall would just allow the sound to carry straight through :RpS_thumbup:

You could try gyplining the wall then use resilient bar and then sound block board see Knauf or BG website for specs and application advice

No real cheap way to do it, you could dot and dab with a 15mm sound board, the floating wall is the best option,done with metal stud with rubber insulation behind,fill with sound insulation, board with single or double staggered layers of 15mm sound bloc

Can you not build a mf stud in front of the party wall fixing to ceiling and floor only. Insulate it and double board with soundboard?

Dabbing will reduce it slightly, a little better again if you put a coat of soundcoat on first, best is with an independent stud in front of the problem wall, insulated with no fixings going into the wall your looking to improve, if there's a stairwell on that wall this can cause problems with stringers and then also if there's any radiators/electrics on the wall. Your only gonna improve airborne sound this way though and if its flanking your not gonna improve it much at all with these methods. Stay away from telling people it will eradicate the problem as it more than likely will only reduce it. If there expecting it to totally reduce it expect your phone to ring next time there's noise from the neighbours

As Johniosaif said, use the metal stud way, use res bar on the metal stud, and dont forget accoustic mastic where stud meets walls,floors and ceilings, this will achieve the best results

Thanks for the replys men! I knew the best bet would be stud it out first, going to see it on Sunday evening, ATM the next door neighbour is keep the young daughter up and also the client, I had already told her it won't fully eradicate the problem just improve..

i have only used soundproofing from specs before so have no idea of which is best/cheapest..

can you men with experience give me a % roughly on what it would block out?
Just so I can give the client an idea of what she will get at each price increment

D & D with soundproof board
D & D with SP board with parge coat
Mf stud single skin SP board
MF stud double SP board

thanks a lot men

Last edited:
Don't know the % but you should get somewhere in the region of 35/38 db (possibly more) reduction on the metal stud system( with 2 layers 15mm)
it will be a noticeable amount

Oh insulation wise go with something like RWA 45

As above, no way of giving a percentage, you can get the specs for metal stud but not for timber stud as far as I remember,

This resilent bar is MF stud work right? As in it can be fixed straight to a wall or stud but, I want to be building a stud, soundproof insolation, resilent bar, then SP board, mastic.

This the best way to go?

Spanky, Res Bar has got a flange ( ooer mrs) on one side only for fixing.
MF has a lip on both sides

Will try and get a link for both in a minute

Status
Not open for further replies.