help on stopping drinking

Members online

hector

so, honestly ,truly, sincerely, i drink approx 4 bottles of wine a week , and occasionaly approx every 4/5 weeks or so i have a few pints of real ale on a saturday afternoon,
but i have decided to pack in drinking alltogether, health reasons, crohns disease/coughing/no immune system etc etc,
has any fellow spreads also packed in drinking alcohol ,
any ideas/help/ advice , etc etc would be greatly appreciated,

so, honestly ,truly, sincerely, i drink approx 4 bottles of wine a week , and occasionaly approx every 4/5 weeks or so i have a few pints of real ale on a saturday afternoon,
but i have decided to pack in drinking alltogether, health reasons, crohns disease/coughing/no immune system etc etc,

I’d love to be at your level tbf hector.

He does that in a night.

Not quite mate, but certainly too much on a day to day basis. I recognise the problem as He tor does and in some ways that keeps it in check. I don’t wake up in the morning craving a drink, or secretly stash a bottle in a cupboard or disappear to the pub when going to the shop for a bottle of milk.

I’ve got a good friend that went down that path and ended up in rehab. He met a lifelong friend in there who I’ve met and neither have relapsed since. They talk about their time with their psychologists who basically told them that they had ‘crossed the line’. Meaning that that they could no longer ever ever ever go back to being casual drinkers. They had to make a choice. Sobriety or die.

Hector, you have this. You need a positive distraction and need to set a goal. Small steps…you can do this.

I think Great Britain has a massive problem in this area and it is emotional issues at the root. If I have drank I can think of the worst things that have happened in my life and I’m not hurt by them in that moment. I think we self medicate with alcohol. I’ve heard it said in other countries that the English man is the emotionally sick man of Europe and I think they are refering to all of Great Britain when they say it and it has validity

chin chin

Hector mate I've been there. About fifteen years ago I was drinking between one and two bottles of wine a night, plus a few beers for good measure.
I woke up one morning and thought "god am I an alcoholic?". Right then and there I decided to stop. Completely! I didn't drink a drop of alcohol for nearly two years. I'd basically proved to myself that I could stop if I wanted to.
I've never gone back to drinking alcohol on a daily basis, sometimes I don't have any for a couple of weeks. I do however still tend to drink too much when on a night out.
No magic formula, just sheer willpower mate.
Good luck, I'm sure you can beat it

I drink prob 5 nights out of week normally few cans and a bottle of wine. I don't want a drink till I get home as it seem way I un winde. Thinking called alcohol
dependent . Need to cut back .

I think stopping altogether for a while will help and benefit you no end and will give you peace of mind knowing you can stop and control it when you want,that being said balance and moderation is the best in everything we consume or do in life but is always harder to regulate so hope you can find a happy medium somewhere with your booze

Get yourself something else to focus on. My mrs was doing a bottle of wine a night during the week, and a bottle of gin on the weekend. She went to the doctors to be told she was pre-diabetic. She bought a swimming pool and has lost 3 1/2 stone in as many months. We are having a garden building delivered on Monday which will be a gym. I on the other hand, rarely touch alcohol, but am still a fat b*****d.

Get yourself something else to focus on. My mrs was doing a bottle of wine a night during the week, and a bottle of gin on the weekend. She went to the doctors to be told she was pre-diabetic. She bought a swimming pool and has lost 3 1/2 stone in as many months. We are having a garden building delivered on Monday which will be a gym. I on the other hand, rarely touch alcohol, but am still a fat b*****d.
When I stopped drinking I didn't lose a single pound. Didn't realise I was eating more, but must have been.

I ain't a c**t
shaun king nick GIF

I’ve cut right down and feel way better for it.
Any day that was stressful or a pain in the arse, most days, I’d stop at bargain booze on the way home.
I Found myself always making an excuse to have a drink. Never saw myself as having a problem until I tried to stop. I couldn’t. Still struggle a bit but when I’m rendering it’s not so much of an issue. Must be internal that grinds my gears.

I’ve cut right down and feel way better for it.
Any day that was stressful or a pain in the arse, most days, I’d stop at bargain booze on the way home.
I Found myself always making an excuse to have a drink. Never saw myself as having a problem until I tried to stop. I couldn’t. Still struggle a bit but when I’m rendering it’s not so much of an issue. Must be internal that grinds my gears.
What I.m like . Gets to about six and I.m wanting a drink. Good thing is my breakfast taste better at 7

Heavy drinking has been a thing within the building industry for generations. Get your pay packet and head straight to the pub, I think we've all worked with guy's that just go AWOL as soon as they get payed, you see them on Monday utterly burst but when the first mix goes on they spring back to life.
It my be different now but that's how it was when I was an apprentice and then on site.
@hector I wish you all best, no doubt it will be hard but stick at it and I'm sure you'll reap the rewards.

Last edited:
Alcohol is 3rd biggest killer!
Alcohol available to anyone (only a age restrictions restrict a purchase )/

A few things to expect with large regular consumption

• Hypertension
  • Irregular heartbeat
  • Impotence
  • Irregular menstrual cycles
  • Pancreatitis
  • Stroke
  • Confusion
  • Amnesia