Help! New skim falling off.

ElwoodP

Had a guy in a couple of months ago to skim a bedroom. He had a problem with the ceiling, plaster was blebbing and basically falling off when wet, had to overboard. Blamed it on the paint.

Now I'm just finishing decorating, I notice a crack along skirting. Got a knife to open it up a bit so I could fill it and a big lump of skim plaster just falls off. Had a bit of a scrape around to scrape back to a solid bit and the whole just gets bigger and bigger. The skim all seems to be blown and comes off very easily. Seems very powdery underneath.

So looks like I will need to get the room stripped and start again? Any advice on what could have happened and how to rectify? Anybody reliable in North Yorkshire available to come and do the job properly?

Attachments

• plaster.jpg
    plaster.jpg
    785 KB · Views: 800
Board over the existing ceiling, overskim hit an miss difficult to give warranty on it. Good luck

Thanks zolco. Probarbly wasn’t clear enough, ceiling has already been over boarded when the skim was failing during the job. Problem is now on walls.

@beader I think multifinish.

@Pagey not interested in getting him back, finish was crap, and he was a messy PIA. Cutting my losses and looking for someone good.

Nothing more than poor prep before skim . Just make sure the next spread knows the sore .

Had a guy in a couple of months ago to skim a bedroom. He had a problem with the ceiling, plaster was blebbing and basically falling off when wet, had to overboard. Blamed it on the paint.

Now I'm just finishing decorating, I notice a crack along skirting. Got a knife to open it up a bit so I could fill it and a big lump of skim plaster just falls off. Had a bit of a scrape around to scrape back to a solid bit and the whole just gets bigger and bigger. The skim all seems to be blown and comes off very easily. Seems very powdery underneath.

So looks like I will need to get the room stripped and start again? Any advice on what could have happened and how to rectify? Anybody reliable in North Yorkshire available to come and do the job properly?

Looking at the picture two things spring to mind. Firstly the patch looks like a monk with his hand tucked into his cassock sleeves. Secondly, that looks like distemper on the wall under the skim.

Thanks zolco. Probarbly wasn’t clear enough, ceiling has already been over boarded when the skim was failing during the job. Problem is now on walls.

@Pagey not interested in getting him back, finish was crap, and he was a messy PIA. Cutting my losses and looking for someone good.
An overskim is always cosmetic anyway I always try to give options when I quote tap the walls and see what I’m up against obviously the cost will go up ect if more work but can’t really guarantee on and over skim if was distemper I would of sugar soaped it down then put a grit over it before skimming bit long winded but thats the way I would of gone about it

Looking at the picture two things spring to mind. Firstly the patch looks like a monk with his hand tucked into his cassock sleeves. Secondly, that looks like distemper on the wall under the skim.
I made a massive error moons back and pva a ceiling I knew it was wrong but customer didn’t wanna go for over board the pva started coming down in a massive sheet we finally went for an over board and I just about broke even and lesson learnt so always go for over board now

It could be a sign! Like Jesus Christ appearing on toast.

Sorry didn't read it properly, good stabiliser should do the trick, but someone semi decent will advise you on the spot good luck

Thanks guys. I scraped back further and actually it is starting to be tough to come off now. Is it crazy to think this might be patched up? Or just that wall redone? I'm not sure on distemper is that not just old type grey plaster?

I guess I just need to get someone in. Any tips on finding someone good? This guy came of one of these tradesman hiring websites with maybe 10 good reviews. Its frustrating I'm prepared to pay proper money for a proper job, just can't seem to find good tradesmen. Everybody seems rushed off their feet and wanting to do the quickest job possible.

Attachments

• plaster2.jpg
    plaster2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 519
Last edited:
Thanks guys. I scraped back further and actually it is starting to be tough to come off now. Is it crazy to think this might be patched up? Or just that wall redone? I'm not sure on distemper is that not just old type grey plaster?

I guess I just need to get someone in. Any tips on finding someone good? This guy came of one of these tradesman hiring websites with maybe 10 good reviews. Its frustrating I'm prepared to pay proper money for a proper job, just can't seem to find good tradesmen. Everybody seems rushed off their feet and wanting to do the quickest job possible.
Distemper is a lime based paint that was used years ago, it re emulsified when wet, a good spread should have noticed it as ,the pva soaks into it, it's easy to scrape off when wet, if it's difficult to scrape off then it's ok to pva and go over , I always scrape it off , some do a sealer on it ,I don't have the faith

You might be better off getting @Marshy to look at it ,there are others available though ,

Forget patching.

Only just noticed, what you saying is first the ceiling was overboarded then the skim was falling off the new boards ?

Don't think its distemper. Looks like a fairly modern property to me with the skirts and bannisters and if anyone had tried to paint plaster or paper it before now they would have known well before now.

Only just noticed, what you saying is first the ceiling was overboarded then the skim was falling off the new boards ?

No. He's saying that the plasterer tried to reskim the ceiling but it fell off so he overboarded it and all was well after that.

Then his walls fell down but the plasterer had been paid by then and had run off.

Do try to keep up.

Cant comment on that one.

There are no decent northern plasterers mate :D

I've had an expert look at the picture and it looks like a guy with a swag bag about to do a runner , ironic eh

It's too far for me but, what part of north Yorkshire ?