Help, lime based pebble like surface, sanding?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

musick

I have many troubles. First, when I put the plaster on, I was getting small pebble like places. I thought it was either, mud not mixed well, or bubbles. They didn't (break open) like non-mixed mud, so I thought they were bubbles. They didn't go away. The places are pretty smooth, but I can see and slightly feel them. I started sifting the powder. This helped. Is this norm? Does this sound like bad or old powder? Also I really need to sand this wall. I know I shouldn't have to, but it's a mess. More than the pebbles... Somehow the first room I did, turned out great. This room bites. Guess I thought I knew what I was doing. Any advise on sanding? I used diamond Lime gypsum plaster. Thank you.

can you name the products your using , in the uk we have different methods than the u.s i think @beddy can help you

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like some of the material could have been exposed to moisture (somebody unloaded it in the rain?). Sometimes you get bad sacks from the suppliers, maybe some screens at the plant need to be replaced. I had the same thing happen with Diamond finish years ago almost had a crew mutiny on me. Had to skim over a large ceiling with taping mud. Right away I took the stuff back to the material house and traded it for "Imperial Finish" never used the Diamond Finish since then. I see you have said that you are not a plasterer, Veneer Plaster isn't usually a DIY thing.

Thank you Loren, I agree think the bags were bad or moister. I actually was able to sand the walls smooth. I was pretty put out, at first. I thought I was going to have to re-skim or hang paper. I used 120 sandpaper and a jitter bug sander. The walls turned out pretty nice. I got a real bad headache doing it tho. (yeah i wore resporator) I still would not recommend it unless, you have to. The smell of lime reminder me of when i use to drill limestone with a jack hammer. lol I understand the DIY thing. I have been builder, remodeler for many years (27) or I would not have tried this. I do most all the work myself as I work alone. Yeah, I talk to myself a lot .... I have done a bit of drywall, and have worked with hot mud a bit.

Just in case anyone reads this about sanding lime plaster. I wouldn't use a sand float. I tried and it scratched the surface (I had pretty coarse papre tho). I used a jitterbug or vibrating sander 120 grit and it was fine. Product used was USG Diamond plaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.