Help - is my rendering that bad - (Johnstone's Silicone)?

Members online

so basically looking at the photos you’ve posted you’ve had your whole house done which as Tom said is probably around 80 metres, let’s assume there’s no vat included. Let’s allow £20m2 for materials which include temporary protection for floors, doors, windows, soffits ect, substrate primer, angle n drip beads, grab adhesive for beads, base coat, reinforcement mesh, pre finish primer and of course texture top coat. That leaves now £35m2 we now need to take out the cost of scaffold let’s allow £10m2(£800) we’ve now got £25m2 left which is £2000 but we still need to account for waste removal which for 80m2 would be x2 8 yard skips @ £200 each. Now we’re left with £1600 and things are getting tight because for £1600 your 2 Renderer’s and labourer have got to hack off 80m2 reapply and finish to a high standard which ain’t never gonna happen then spend another day removing temporary protection, mastic seal and making sure everything is pukka, but they still ain’t finished as they need to come back for the Remedial works. You my friend have gone for the cheapest quote and like most who come on here asking the same question have now realised the error of your ways. I doff my hat to you sir and wish you good day :tanguero:
I rest my case

he wants to ring Johnstone's and ask for a recommendation to a decent applicator bucket coat over the top to sort out texture,
Johnstone's Pliolite paint is the best bet if he's going down the painting route to protect all those s**t details, they use that stuff on lighthouses

Thanks again for all the help on this thread.

Just had a reply from Johnstones and their tech department reckon...

1. Clean down the surface with a fungicidal was to clean off any contamination on the surface.
2. One coat of Silicone Enhanced Topcoat 1.5mm direct onto the existing clean Silicone Enhanced Coating.

I'm hoping this will sort it.

Regarding the details, are the main issues above the garage? Originally that was flat but they made up a slope so water runs off - whats the proper fix?

The detail above the bottom window is cos i've had to use Evercryl on the flashing - I was told they cant render on to flashing as it wont stick?

1. Clean down the surface with a fungicidal was to clean off any contamination on the surface.
2. One coat of Silicone Enhanced Topcoat 1.5mm direct onto the existing clean Silicone Enhanced Coating.

Regarding the details, are the main issues above the garage? Originally that was flat but they made up a slope so water runs off - whats the proper fix?

The detail above the bottom window is cos i've had to use Evercryl on the flashing - I was told they cant render on to flashing as it wont stick?
Get some lead work cut into the wall and dressed over the slope before you get it re-textured

Get some lead work cut into the wall and dressed over the slope before you get it re-textured

Ah no way, they had me remove the lead that the builder put there (we built on top of the garage) before they started rendering! whats the reason for the rendered slope being bad, is it just cos it collects dirt?

Ah no way, they had me remove the lead that the builder put there (we built on top of the garage) before they started rendering! whats the reason for the rendered slope being bad, is it just cos it collects dirt?
If it's not vertical it's just going to cause problems water ingress lying water freezing up collecting dirt etc etc

Poor b*stards they must have been so tight on that job that they couldn't even afford to cover themselves with enough material.

Theres no way they are coming back it simply won't be worth their while...unless you contact them and offer them a fair wedge to come and re top it...I'd say £2500 would be fair including mats and scaffold.

They should have charged 15K in the first place.

Poor b*stards they must have been so tight on that job that they couldn't even afford to cover themselves with enough material.

Theres no way they are coming back it simply won't be worth their while...unless you contact them and offer them a fair wedge to come and re top it...I'd say £2500 would be fair including mats and scaffold.

They should have charged 15K in the first place.
How are they the poor bastards? They priced it, they f**k*d up. Not the clients fault and I definitely wouldn't be giving them a penny to come back.

How are they the poor bastards? They priced it, they f**k*d up. Not the clients fault and I definitely wouldn't be giving them a penny to come back.

True, personally I never do a job where the customer tries to supply there own scaffold/waste removal as I profit on these and have specific requirements for access. It also screams 'Penny Pincher!!!' (not saying this is the case)

The detail above garage door is a mistake waiting to happen, it looks like primed and top coated same day to me, keep the money and paint the front.

Agreed...would have been better to make a feature out of that garage door and use some XPS or Cement board...then maybe thin coat it a different colour to the rest of the house (y)

Thanks for the break down. I did forget to mention I paid for all skips and the scaffolding was already up. But maybe it was still too cheap?
How many quotes did you get? What were the costs of the other quotes? And what made you decide that the fools who did this job for you were the right guys for the project? I have an inkling on the answers but I’ll wait until you confirm my suspicions

How many quotes did you get? What were the costs of the other quotes? And what made you decide that the fools who did this job for you were the right guys for the project? I have an inkling on the answers but I’ll wait until you confirm my suspicions

I got 3 quotes, the others were between 1 and 2k more. I chose them based on seeing their work in the past.

The scaffolding and skips were already here just because we were having a complete re-roof and extension at the same time by the way.

cheers!

I got 3 quotes, the others were between 1 and 2k more. I chose them based on seeing their work in the past.

The scaffolding and skips were already here just because we were having a complete re-roof and extension at the same time by the way.

cheers!

cheers!
So what put you off the firm that we’re £2k more?

It's not terrible and could be painted, but probably the extra £1000 would have saved you all the trouble of remedial works, best of luck.

The 2k! Comparing the quality of previous work and going through the quotes of both companies line by line, I didn't see anything that stood out between them other than the price.
so your decision was based entirely on the cheapest quote, and now your unhappy with the finish, unfortunately I come across this all to often.
Are you sure their previous work that you saw Was carried out by them?

so your decision was based entirely on the cheapest quote, and now your unhappy with the finish, unfortunately I come across this all to often.
Are you sure their previous work that you saw Was carried out by them?
The old photo poaching
Always put your van in the photos
IMG_20190717_084933~2.jpg

1.5mm ain’t gonna sort that shower of s**t out no chance