Help identifying plaster type and preparation

Members online

AGW2

I am renovating my house in the UK which was built in circa 1900 and have exposed some plaster underneath a couple of layers of wallpaper which I have now managed to remove. I am not sure of it's age or whether the plaster is lime based, gypsum based or something else, thus how original it is.

The plaster has a slightly coarse, grainy texture and is a sort of off white/yellow colour (although I am colour blind). There is evidence that some modernish fillers have been used in some patches. The conditions seems fairly good with no clear evidence of de-lamination.

Is this lime plaster and if so what would be the best way to prepare it before painting?

Attachments

• Example.jpg
    Example.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 252
I am renovating my house in the UK which was built in circa 1900 and have exposed some plaster underneath a couple of layers of wallpaper which I have now managed to remove. I am not sure of it's age or whether the plaster is lime based, gypsum based or something else, thus how original it is.

The plaster has a slightly coarse, grainy texture and is a sort of off white/yellow colour (although I am colour blind). There is evidence that some modernish fillers have been used in some patches. The conditions seems fairly good with no clear evidence of de-lamination.

Is this lime plaster and if so what would be the best way to prepare it before painting?
Looks like a lime finish
You have a lot of prep to do to get that ready for decs as it is

you could go over it in a lime finish if you want to keep the integrity of the house intact ?or just have it replastered in a gypsum finish ? This is probably your cheapest and best option imo

Looks like a lime finish
You have a lot of prep to do to get that ready for decs as it is

you could go over it in a lime finish if you want to keep the integrity of the house intact ?or just have it replastered in a gypsum finish ? This is probably your cheapest and best option imo
Thanks very much for the advice. In terms of preparation before a lime finish what would generally be needed?

All paper off, any loose or flakey filler removed, paint it with dg27
Thanks very much. Are there any good tapes for cracks that can be used in conjunction with a lime finish? There are a couple of hairline cracks in the ceiling and wondered what the best approach for them would be?

Thanks very much. Are there any good tapes for cracks that can be used in conjunction with a lime finish? There are a couple of hairline cracks in the ceiling and wondered what the best approach for them would be?
Just the self adhesive scrim tape u get at builders merchants