Hello

LA3222

Hi,

New member here looking to learn/get advice which will hopefully help with my self build. I am building in Lincolnshire and although I will get a pro in to do the internal skim and external render I want to learn as much as possible so I understand what is required.

Thanks

Jamie

Hi,

New member here looking to learn/get advice which will hopefully help with my self build. I am building in Lincolnshire and although I will get a pro in to do the internal skim and external render I want to learn as much as possible so I understand what is required.

Thanks

Jamie
The pro plasterer will know what is required your job is to pay him or her.
Welcome.

Hi,

Thanks

Jamie
Good post Jamie and good luck to you, what do you want to know ? What do you do, for a living, yourself ?

Hi,

Thanks

Jamie
Welcome great to see such enthusiasm, you don’t really need to know too much just pay a good local plasterer well for a good job!,and live happy ever after!.

The pro plasterer will know what is required your job is to pay him or her.
Welcome.

I agree the 'pro' 'should' know what is required. I'm looking to gain some basic knowledge so I know that the pro is doing what they should be doing and im not being take for a ride by a cowboy.

The building trade like anything else has its cowboys, I'm making sure my ignorance doesn't catch me out.

Good post Jamie and good luck to you, what do you want to know ? What do you do, for a living, yourself ?

Nothing to do with building houses! This will be the first and last time so I'm putting a lot of time into learning so I get it right.

Where in Lincolnshire.
I.ll give you price if not to far

Near Louth. Just putting building regs app together at the minute so the job will be next spring I hope.

My build is SIP with block work skin that will be a render finish. I believe the block work is straightforward enough. However the dormers will need render carriers attaching and this is where I'm focused at the minute as trying to get my head around how this will all tie together.

I've spoken to a K-rend rep and am looking at Knauf Aquapanel Exterior - specifically the details of how corners/ windows/ventilation gaps etc all come together with the roof tiles and flashing at the bottom.

I'm sure the architect knows his onions - but I like to understand.

I'll put some pics up in a bit of the area I'm not happy with - pictures always help!

I agree the 'pro' 'should' know what is required. I'm looking to gain some basic knowledge so I know that the pro is doing what they should be doing and im not being take for a ride by a cowboy.

The building trade like anything else has its cowboys, I'm making sure my ignorance doesn't catch me out.

Nothing to do with building houses! This will be the first and last time so I'm putting a lot of time into learning so I get it right.

Near Louth. Just putting building regs app together at the minute so the job will be next spring I hope.

My build is SIP with block work skin that will be a render finish. I believe the block work is straightforward enough. However the dormers will need render carriers attaching and this is where I'm focused at the minute as trying to get my head around how this will all tie together.

I've spoken to a K-rend rep and am looking at Knauf Aquapanel Exterior - specifically the details of how corners/ windows/ventilation gaps etc all come together with the roof tiles and flashing at the bottom.

I'll put some pics up in a bit of the area I'm not happy with - pictures always help!
you may do well to take on a project manager, a little knowledge is often a receipy for a lot of stress.

Hi,

Thanks

Jamie

Welcome along

Two bits of advice from me and then I'm out.
1. Do not ever, ever, ever assume that the architect will "know his onions". They are the cause of more problems than just about anyone else in the building industry.
2. Rather than spending your time "learning the basics" in an attempt to catch your plasterer out for wrongdoing, spend your time researching plasterers previous work before giving anyone the go-ahead. Then trust them.

Hi,

Thanks

Jamie
Welcome along, sound advice from @essexandy there