Hello ! Looking to learn the trade, get advice and possibly find work - near Wigan

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Webb

Hello ! My names Mike, I'm 27 years old, I live near Wigan and I drive.
I've joined the forum just to look around for now and do some research. I'm currently working as a labourer for a new builds company. The money is ok but I want my own trade ! I used to labour for a plasterer and enjoyed the graft. He used to earn a fortune ! So, I have enquired about different courses and the full time college course seems the best option? The next course date is in September so a long way off yet. Should I try to find someone to take me on as a labourer and have a go when I can now? Or should I try to get a part time labouring job for the experience once I have started the course?
Any advise would be great
Mike

Welcome to the forum Mike,you'd learn far more if an old pro was prepared to take you under his wing and gradually get you on the trowel while your labouring for him.Your talking a few years to be honest.I don't know too much about these courses as there is none in Ireland that I am aware of except the four year apprenticeship.But I can't see anyone learning what's needed for the big bad world in a month or six weeks.Anyway best of luck,if you go through the forum and get involved someone may give you a lucky break.

Welcome to the forum Mike,you'd learn far more if an old pro was prepared to take you under his wing and gradually get you on the trowel while your labouring for him.Your talking a few years to be honest.I don't know too much about these courses as there is none in Ireland that I am aware of except the four year apprenticeship.But I can't see anyone learning what's needed for the big bad world in a month or six weeks.Anyway best of luck,if you go through the forum and get involved someone may give you a lucky break.
The course I was going for is a year long college course. Maybe then I'd find a experienced guy to labourer for and learn the trade.
I'm currently employed so no rush but if I come across someone willing to take me on and teach me id go for it.
Thanks for the fast reply

There is f**k**g all money in plastering. Would you not look at getting a real payed job. Carpenter. Plumber. Even painting. Less work more money.

Hello ! My names Mike, I'm 27 years old, I live near Wigan and I drive.
I've joined the forum just to look around for now and do some research. I'm currently working as a labourer for a new builds company. The money is ok but I want my own trade ! I used to labour for a plasterer and enjoyed the graft. He used to earn a fortune ! So, I have enquired about different courses and the full time college course seems the best option? The next course date is in September so a long way off yet. Should I try to find someone to take me on as a labourer and have a go when I can now? Or should I try to get a part time labouring job for the experience once I have started the course?
Any advise would be great
Mike

Welcome :D

There is f**k**g all money in plastering. Would you not look at getting a real payed job. Carpenter. Plumber. Even painting. Less work more money.
Your probably right there.I'm 43 and know nothing else.I started with my father when I was 17 and the first few years were pure hell but I would'nt give in.I've one son and he's ten and I would'nt like to see him going down the road I went down.It's a hard way to make a few pound.

I don't think painters make more money,not down this way anyhow.
100-120 for a good painter down my way

Your probably right there.I'm 43 and know nothing else.I started with my father when I was 17 and the first few years were pure hell but I would'nt give in.I've one son and he's ten and I would'nt like to see him going down the road I went down.It's a hard way to make a few pound.
My lad is coming straight on board when he is 16.
The trade is as hard as you make it.build up a company and have guys working for you.
I wouldn't go back to school given the chance

My lad is coming straight on board when he is 16.
The trade is as hard as you make it.build up a company and have guys working for you.
I wouldn't go back to school given the chance
Very true! That would be my long term goal. Just need to get going and learn the trade first. I will get there :) even if it means going to college and working part time for a year..

I've got 6 mates who are all tradesmen and I earn more than all of them except 1 who is a spark working offshore.

Painters do get same if not more up here. Very similar rates much quicker and easier graft.

I have to say plasterers are still getting a raw deal in the north west all the firms are having the lads off.
It wont change tho there are more plasterers up here than people....

:confused:

The College course will learn you the very basics and no speed. You would need to find a job as an improver after the course. Personally get a job as a plasterers labourer. If you have sheer determination no one can stop you learning the trade. But you need that determination.

Attitude to your teacher is paramount, he doesn't owe you a living. Be greedy and he will get rid of you.

I would prefer to to work for someone on a fair wage rather than be self employed. Let someone else do the running around and have all the stress.

Good luck with it.

The College course will learn you the very basics and no speed. You would need to find a job as an improver after the course. Personally get a job as a plasterers labourer. If you have sheer determination no one can stop you learning the trade. But you need that determination.

Attitude to your teacher is paramount, he doesn't owe you a living. Be greedy and he will get rid of you.

I would prefer to to work for someone on a fair wage rather than be self employed. Let someone else do the running around and have all the stress.

Good luck with it.
Thanks! Good advice. I will keep my eyes peeled on here for anyone looking for a labourer :) I speak to most of the lads that come on to my site as well so hopefully I meet someone at work that would take me on.
If it gets to next September and I still haven't found someone to take me on would you advise me to do the college course or not? Maybe I would have more chance of getting took on then?
I do have experience years ago working with a plasterer and more recently a boarder and a site labourer so I understand the graft involved ... Just hope I get lucky and get a chance
Again, Thanks for the advise

Thanks! Good advice. I will keep my eyes peeled on here for anyone looking for a labourer :) I speak to most of the lads that come on to my site as well so hopefully I meet someone at work that would take me on.
If it gets to next September and I still haven't found someone to take me on would you advise me to do the college course or not? Maybe I would have more chance of getting took on then?
I do have experience years ago working with a plasterer and more recently a boarder and a site labourer so I understand the graft involved ... Just hope I get lucky and get a chance
Again, Thanks for the advise

make your own luck and push for it if you really want it :D

Which college are you looking at pal, i believe it's about £1200....... I am in leigh and will ask around for you bud.
Hi pal, I am from Lowton ! the course is at Wigan college 2.5 days a week the course starts in September. a full time year college course seems a better idea than a short course.
Will keep trying find a decent lad take me on as a labourer/trainee
Yer ask about nice 1 :) I'm in full time cards in work for a big building firm as site labourer so only want change to labourer for someone if it's going to be permanent and not just a couple weeks work

15 yrs ago I did the same course but at Bolton and it was 2 nights a week so kept my full time job.....then started doing little jobs at the week end. .... It was tiring but worth it in the end......

15 yrs ago I did the same course but at Bolton and it was 2 nights a week so kept my full time job.....then started doing little jobs at the week end. .... It was tiring but worth it in the end......
Ideally that would be best for me but I can not find any night courses ! Got told Oldham did and that's out my way but I was willing to do it so enquired and they stopped it .. If I do the day course at Wigan I can still work 3/4 days at a mental health hospital I used to work at so it wouldn't be like if have no income. Luckily for me I'm back living with my old man :)

Status
Not open for further replies.