Hello - Looking for advice

Members online

Douglas Shearer

Hi Folks,
My name is Doug and I am looking to retrain in a trade. I am 34 and am a Graphic Designer by trade. Design has been good to me but what with the economic climate and oil downturn up here in Scotland things are tough and the industry is diluted with young students undercutting everyone and stiff competition for any full time salaried work.

I am looking to retrain and an looking for some advice on working as a plasterer. Basically I wan't to become a Plasterer and am willing to put in the time and effort to gain the skills and qualifications needed.

Can anyone advise on a good course to attend or progression route to take and rough duration?

Also I live in Aberdeen in Scotland and have read/heard that the Plastering trade is decreasing due to lack of housing being built, Brexit looming and the fact most new buildings are being fitted with drywalls. Is there any truth in this?.

Cheers.

I'd stay put where you are it's the same in plastering a lot of kids are doing a course then going out on there own under cutting the only way you will earn money in plastering is if you do all aspects of it and pick out the bigger complicated jobs.

Surely there is still a high demand for good plasterers though? Every local joiner/tradesman I have spoken to says that its hard work but good money once you are skilled enough.

Surely there is still a high demand for good plasterers though? Every local joiner/tradesman I have spoken to says that its hard work but good money once you are skilled enough.

That is true in a sense but bear in mind it could take you 5 years to get to a point where you are in a position to earn good money.

I'd stay put where you are it's the same in plastering a lot of kids are doing a course then going out on there own under cutting the only way you will earn money in plastering is if you do all aspects of it and pick out the bigger complicated jobs.
Disagree, I started earning good money straight away and generally just skimming, a bit of coving etc but not sure why everyone says 5 years for good money....I did gold trowel in Jan 16 and was earning good money by April and things only got better since I learned how to charge properly

hate to say it @Lodan.......but your kind of the example that @raggles is saying although your charging properly by all accounts....

for every 1 of you theres probabley a a 1000 that come off a course and then charge peanuts initialy to win work etc

hate to say it @Lodan.......but your kind of the example that @raggles is saying although your charging properly by all accounts....

for every 1 of you theres probabley a a 1000 that come off a course and then charge peanuts initialy to win work etc
Maybe zombie, I'm sure your right, you usually are, but you can do the course and be good and charge properly ...no idea if I'm different from some but seen my work painted so much now I got faith its top notch and from day 1 never dropped my trousers to get work. These lads who want to change career can do it if they got ethic and a bit if apptitude . I never undercut to get started cos I wanted good money and didnt want to undercut as a level playing field is best for everyone

Maybe zombie, I'm sure your right, you usually are, but you can do the course and be good and charge properly ...no idea if I'm different from some but seen my work painted so much now I got faith its top notch and from day 1 never dropped my trousers to get work. These lads who want to change career can do it if they got ethic and a bit if apptitude . I never undercut to get started cos I wanted good money and didnt want to undercut as a level playing field is best for everyone

Your the exception mate you was always destined to succeed!!!

I backed you from day 1 and have nothing but respect!!!

But trust me you will feel different about flash in the pans that are forever a thorn in the side of the trade in time!!!

I'm 40s have 2 kids to feed can do all aspects of the trade been in building game just under 20years and am still as likely to loose a job to a numpty, good reputation and people skills sadly only seems to go so far these days...eventually money talks sad but true!!!

Your the exception mate you was always destined to succeed!!!

I backed you from day 1 and have nothing but respect!!!

But trust me you will feel different about flash in the pans that are forever a thorn in the side of the trade in time!!!

I'm 40s have 2 kids to feed can do all aspects of the trade been in building game just under 20years and am still as likely to loose a job to a numpty, good reputation and people skills sadly only seems to go so far these days...eventually money talks sad but true!!!
I do understand mate, on my course there was 10, only two of us could spread the rest were as s**t on the first day as they were on the last....sadly the other lad was from the Falklands islands and went back there....he posted a pic the other day of 60dqm he did on his own and looked bang on