hello from leeds !

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi fireblade

I'm in a very similar situation to you.

I'm 40 and have just started a part-time course at Craven College in Skipton. I was thinking about doing the one at Leeds but decided I could get to Skipton from Halifax with a little less hassle although they are the same distance.

I hope all goes well for you - are you doing the level 2?

Hi fireblade

I'm 40 and have just started a part-time course at Craven College in Skipton. I was thinking about doing the one at Leeds but decided I could get to Skipton from Halifax with a little less hassle although they are the same distance.

are they doing plastering at craven now adays, didnt know that,is it an nvq they offer?

I'm just doing a level 2 diploma but I think they do NVQ assessments as well. They also have apprentices coming in once a week.

I'm just doing a level 2 diploma but I think they do NVQ assessments as well. They also have apprentices coming in once a week.

never knew that, im Skipton area myself,i get frequent applicants from leeds wanting appreticeshipsbut never from skipton.

Ah, I wonder why that is - certainly there are chaps there that would bite you hand off if you had an apprenticeship going. It's quite a small place - about 18 of us - mostly young guys 17-20 - and a few really old blokes like me.

Hi fireblade

hello john hows your course going ?

I'm looking to sign up to the 3 year Plastering Occupations Diploma Course at York College next year.
Seems I am in same boat myself as everyone else is, although slightly younger at 27 ;-)
Looking to maybe work for myself eventually as I have a very young daughter that I'd like to work around when she's a bit older.
Just as a side note: I moved from Leeds LS9 area--what a dump, stairway to crack heaven-- and not that type of 'crack' you want to be on ;-)

Hi Fireblade

Course is going ok, but I've been really fortunate and have found a plasterer who has let me work with him - currently labouring on site. Great experience being in the real world. If you can get some it is definitely worth it.

Also, the college is trying to be as flexible as possible so I can work and still do the course, so it's pretty good so far.

Are you starting in the new year?

I'm looking to sign up to the 3 year Plastering Occupations Diploma Course at York College next year.
Seems I am in same boat myself as everyone else is, although slightly younger at 27 ;-)
Looking to maybe work for myself eventually as I have a very young daughter that I'd like to work around when she's a bit older.
Just as a side note: I moved from Leeds LS9 area--what a dump, stairway to crack heaven-- and not that type of 'crack' you want to be on ;-)

Struggling to sleep Charlotte. :RpS_sneaky:

Hi Fireblade

Course is going ok, but I've been really fortunate and have found a plasterer who has let me work with him - currently labouring on site. Great experience being in the real world. If you can get some it is definitely worth it.

Also, the college is trying to be as flexible as possible so I can work and still do the course, so it's pretty good so far.

Are you starting in the new year?

why dont you do an NVQ instead of the college ?

Sorry to hi-jack this thread of late. This is the course I'm hoping to sign up to next year (3 years)-- can I get some advice from someone as to whether this is a good idea to complete? (which I'm prepared to do as long as it's beneficial to me) Or am I best off going down a different avenue. I know this will not be a work-based NVQ qualification so I'm well aware about having to be employed and assessed etc etc, but after reading different posts, I get the impression there's a few ways to get into this trade. I'm up for hard work, but I don't want to do something that's not particularly going to benefit me or in the end; waste my time. Any genuine answers would appreciated.

Plastering Occupations Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3 Diplomas

Duration and Attendance

The Diploma courses in Plastering are one year in duration, commencing with the Level 1 Diploma and progressing to year two for the level 2 Diploma, a further year is required for the Level 3.
Daytime and evening attendance options can be considered

What will I study?

Plastering for adults will focus on developing the hand skills necessary to be able to plaster walls, re-skim wall surfaces, plaster patching and ‘making good’. The course follows the Diploma qualifications and it will be possible to complete a full plastering qualification if required. If sufficient demand evening only classes will be arranged.

Level 1 Diploma units include:

• Safe Working Practices in Construction Information,
  • Quantities and Communications
  • Knowledge of Building Construction
  • Preparing background surfaces and plaster materials
  • Apply plaster materials to internal backgrounds
  • Produce components from moulds

Level 2 Diploma units include:

• Apply plaster materials to external surfaces
  • Fix dry lining and plasterboard products to interiors
  • Form sand and cement screeds
  • Produce plaster components

Level 3 Diploma units include:

• Fix dry lining and plasterboard products to interiors
  • Produce plaster components
  • Position and secure fibrous plaster components
  • Apply plaster material to produce complex internal surfaces

Entry requirements

No formal entry requirements are required.

How will I be assessed?

Adult courses are focused on achieving skills and knowledge, where a person chooses to work towards a formal qualification there will be end of unit assessments and an end of course practical assessment.

What can I do next?

If appropriate people studying on this course can work towards developing a career in plastering through Adult Apprenticeships, others may choose to progress into site supervision.

Status
Not open for further replies.