Hello from East Coast USA

Members online

Heritage Plasters

Hello everyone,

I feel like I've found a gold mine! I've been plastering for about 16 years here in the states and its very hard to find much of a community that knows plaster. Most of the wall finish around here is drywall and with a few exceptions hardly anyone understands plaster here anymore so its great to find a whole community still hard at it.

Sourcing materials has always been a challenge so I'm looking forward to at least learning about the materials commonly used over there and the techniques to find some tips. Always new things to learn with this trade.

Looking forward to chatting you all up.

Cheers,

Tim

Heritage Plasters

Here's a few from today. Color integrated plaster. Textured finish. No paint required. (some areas are still wet so that's the color difference you see.) 20170718_120319.jpg 20170718_120458.jpg 20170718_120333.jpg

Hi. Nice your here. I have worked on a house in Branson Missouri. Was a relative we were visiting from the UK. As you say sourcing materials was interesting. We ended up with cardboard boxes lined with plastic filled with ready mixed plaster of some sort. Was some sort of drywall and we used it to skim some rough walls. They had nothing powder form at merchants. Kind of worked out..

@Vincey

Haven't seen it here yet. I read about it awhile ago when I started researching plastering over there and it looked interesting. Pricy stuff isn't it?

My favorite trowel at the moment is a 14" stainless Nela but it's a fairly new addition to my bag. My old standby is a 14" stainless curry trowel. (I have a couple 16" ones but most of my clients want a rustic look and those make things too smooth for their liking.)

Last edited:
Hi. Nice your here. I have worked on a house in Branson Missouri. Was a relative we were visiting from the UK. As you say sourcing materials was interesting. We ended up with cardboard boxes lined with plastic filled with ready mixed plaster of some sort. Was some sort of drywall and we used it to skim some rough walls. They had nothing powder form at merchants. Kind of worked out..

That sounds horrible. Having to skim surfaces with drywall mud is a special type of torture. You can usually get some real stuff if you know where to look and don't mind making a lot of calls... (And waiting for it to get it.) Once you get a supply yard to start stocking the stuff it makes life a lot easier.

There are still a lot of materials I can't get here that I could get in Illinois just because it was so close to a USG manufacturing facility. I wish plaster was more popular here but what can 1 guy do right?