Hello Everybody, I'd appreciate some advice. Is it a good time to get into plastering?

Most don't notice unless you do something a little out of the ordinary. Venetian plaster (real Venetian as in lime based plaster not that acrylic stuff) always gets the Oooooos and ahhhhhs but you can accomplish similar things with different techniques using normal plaster.

Plaster here is a little different but we regularly tint the plaster or seal it with a colored wax to get a unique look. It's not for everybody but if they like it telling them they don't have to paint justifies a bigger price and makes you stand out from the crowd and is miles better than typical drywall finish. (which is the 'standard' here)

Here are a few examples of what I mean. No paint on these walls. Tinted plaster with a texture and the brownish one has tinted wax. No corner bead so all hand formed corners for that old fashioned look. Last one is Venetian Plaster walls and standard plaster ceiling with custom molding for comparison.

All the best in your search. Just make sure he enjoys the work and the rest will come.

Thanks for the feedback, you've gone out of your way, it's much appreciated.

Yes definately a big difference from regular plastered walls and quite subtle also, not the vivid impact of the venetian (well not in these photos).

I completely agree that venetian on it's own is not enough and leans more towards being a decorator, in my opinion (not that decorating is a bad trade), and having the plastering skill is important. That's the plan and we are beginning to get a good feeling about it.

Sadly you are far away and it would be great if you could take him under your wing, even for a short time to give him the flavour of plastering.... But that would be too much to ask! So I'm grateful for your advice.

All the best to you and your family.

I'm not really in your area so I can't speak as to the market but I can say that plastering is a skill that's useful all over the world. I've done plaster work all over the states as well as a few projects in central and South America. Even if the materials are a bit different knowing how to make mud do what you want will give you job security in many different places. As far as supporting yourself goes I think you can do VERY well at it if that's really your goal but even if you just want to keep it small you can support yourself quite comfortably almost anywhere. (at least everywhere I've lived here in the states.)

I think loving what you do is much more important than making a lot of cash but hating your job. If your son likes it and views it as a craft then getting paid is just a bonus.

Venetian Plaster is beautiful but I think knowing how to take walls from studs to Venetian Plaster makes one a well rounded tradesman. I've met a lot of Venetian plasterers who call themselves 'master applicators' and couldn't skim a wall to save their lives. There are so many aspects to the trade you get to pick one or maybe a few that suit you. It keeps things fresh and exciting. Always more to learn and ways to improve.

Master applicators of Bovem De Stercore?

There's not much difference between being in the forces and being a plasterer really, either way you've got to be a bit nuts!
yes definatley nuts. i left the army to end up being a spread and at 28, i still miss the life.
all in all there are much better jobs but its still a respectable path with could see a grand a week with a few blokes under him.

all the best