Hello and flaky paint help

richwill33

Hello all in the middle of full renovation of 100+ year old terrace. Plasterer is about to start skimming upstairs lath and plaster walls however, they have been painted twice not sure if one of the coats is distemper but the paint is flaky as f. Have been scaping all day and not got very far. Just wondering if I can apply stablizing soloution to the walls then grit them up. do you think I will get away with this?

Hello all in the middle of full renovation of 100+ year old terrace. Plasterer is about to start skimming upstairs lath and plaster walls however, they have been painted twice not sure if one of the coats is distemper but the paint is flaky as f. Have been scaping all day and not got very far. Just wondering if I can apply stablizing soloution to the walls then grit them up. do you think I will get away with this?
Just scrape the very worst off, had it before and as long as the worst is off never had any problems

Why is you’re plasterer not doing the prep?

Thanks for all the replies my plasterer has walked around the house with me and didn't mention anything about the flaky paint but wanted me to grit the walls in preperation for him. It was only when I was about to grit them and started to rub them down I realised how bad it was. I bougt a pile of yellow grit off ebay as it was such a lot cheaper than the blue stuff.
I'm paying him cash by the day so am happy to do any prep that may save me a few quid do you think I will get away with the yellow grit?

Thanks for all the replies my plasterer has walked around the house with me and didn't mention anything about the flaky paint but wanted me to grit the walls in preperation for him. It was only when I was about to grit them and started to rub them down I realised how bad it was. I bougt a pile of yellow grit off ebay as it was such a lot cheaper than the blue stuff.
I'm paying him cash by the day so am happy to do any prep that may save me a few quid do you think I will get away with the yellow grit?
Soon find out

Why not have these conversations with your plasterer?????????????