Hello and advice please regarding materials

G.James

Hello all, new to the forum, I'm currently working on my uncles 150+ year old stone cottage on the Isle of Man. It has suffered from having the interior walls covered in concrete and gypsum in the past. I have hacked this off back to bare stone and stripped the ceilings back to the rafters (which were a combination of plasterboard and hardboard)

My plan is to have the walls redone in lime but am unsure what materials to use when reinstating the ceilings. I also have a couple of stud walls to build.

I have come up with a couple of options

1 - use moisture resistant plasterboard on the stud walls and ceilings, have these skimmed with gypsum and the walls done in lime

2 - use wood wool board on the ceilings and stud walls and have the whole lot done in lime.

What would be the best solution? Would a plasterer be happy to use both gypsum and lime in different areas or would it be too much of a faff? I'm looking to maintain the breathability of the stone walls but try and modernise the building for the future.

Thanks for your help

Graham

Wood wool board is more expensive than pb
But you would maintain the same material throughout..IE. Texture and finish

You could just use pb on ceilings and skim and keep all walls in lime

Wood wool/lime
You will need someone who has worked with these materials in the past really.

wood wool boards can have a fire retardant in them. more expensive but a good system, with a full mesh and lime.
you could go for a reed ceiling, with a lime mortar.
wood lath with lime mortar.
if the building is not listed, plasterboard and skim will be the basic.

Hello all, new to the forum, I'm currently working on my uncles 150+ year old stone cottage on the Isle of Man. It has suffered from having the interior walls covered in concrete and gypsum in the past. I have hacked this off back to bare stone and stripped the ceilings back to the rafters (which were a combination of plasterboard and hardboard)

My plan is to have the walls redone in lime but am unsure what materials to use when reinstating the ceilings. I also have a couple of stud walls to build.

1 - use moisture resistant plasterboard on the stud walls and ceilings, have these skimmed with gypsum and the walls done in lime

2 - use wood wool board on the ceilings and stud walls and have the whole lot done in lime.

What would be the best solution? Would a plasterer be happy to use both gypsum and lime in different areas or would it be too much of a faff? I'm looking to maintain the breathability of the stone walls but try and modernise the building for the future.

Thanks for your help

Graham
If you decide to go with plasterboard on the ceilings and stud walls don't use moisture resistant board. Use foil backed on the ceilings by all means (not if there's another floor above), but not moisture resistant.

If you decide to go with plasterboard on the ceilings and stud walls don't use moisture resistant board. Use foil backed on the ceilings by all means (not if there's another floor above), but not moisture resistant.
Don't foil backed boards cause problems with mobile signals , although not earthed and a mesh it would still interfere
Not a true Faraday shield admittedly

Don't foil backed boards cause problems with mobile signals , although not earthed and a mesh it would still interfere
Not a true Faraday shield admittedly
We did one place a few years ago that had that many steels going in all directions that they were forming Faraday shield. Had to pick your spot carefully when making a call there.

Walls and ceilings as in an aluminium box , perfectly OK if using router run from landline ?
Duplex is rarely spec'd for use on walls and I can't ever remember doing an entire room in it. Not sure how it could affect using a router as it isn't used on partition walls and only cold ceilings.

Thanks for your help

Graham

Welcome to TPF

Hello again and thankyou for the replies. I am leaning towards the wood wool board option as it means I can use lime throughout and maintain breathability rather than using a mixture of both gypsum and lime when plastering.

Has anyone used the wool board in a wet environment i.e. a bathroom? My only concern is the boards getting damp from shower steam and sagging?

Essexandy i was thinking of using foil backed board but I read somewhere (maybe here?) that once you cut the board to fit it renders the backing useless. The plasterboard ceiling I pulled down
was standard board, had sagged and felt a bit wet and spongy so assumed it was getting damp. That's why I planned on the moisture board.

Hello again and thankyou for the replies. I am leaning towards the wood wool board option as it means I can use lime throughout and maintain breathability rather than using a mixture of both gypsum and lime when plastering.

Has anyone used the wool board in a wet environment i.e. a bathroom? My only concern is the boards getting damp from shower steam and sagging?

Essexandy i was thinking of using foil backed board but I read somewhere (maybe here?) that once you cut the board to fit it renders the backing useless. The plasterboard ceiling I pulled down
was standard board, had sagged and felt a bit wet and spongy so assumed it was getting damp. That's why I planned on the moisture board.
You could use reed boards on the ceilings if you’re going traditional lime everywhere