heavy olde english plastered walls

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballsdeep

hi lads went to look at a job before,massive hall way and landing which seemed like never ending of meterage of that realy horrible heavy old'e english style plastering......real nasty. How would you guys approach dealing with it? if i remember correctly did spreads used to do it with browning? got the vibe other spreads had given the customer the wide birth.

it looks like the most revolting heaviest artex(applied by a gang of children) that every single tpf member could wish to have a nightmare about.

Never seen hardwall and bonding mixed together ,is the an olde English solution to an old English problem? For that reason I am out

Get lost ..... You must have had a couple of half bags left and chucked them in together? :RpS_biggrin:

Never seen hardwall and bonding mixed together ,is the an olde English solution to an old English problem? For that reason I am out

john, the bonding builds up a key, you cannot apply hardwall on to pva, the hardwall allows you to pack out and float better the bonding, devil float and it skims easy.

hardwall and bonding mixed gives you a better suction for skimming then bonding alone.
surely on top of painted surface thats had pva there wont be much suction anyway,assuming your setting same day,but im a rookie by all accounts:)

I get that bit ,but hardwall and bonding are not interchangeable products ,to my mind the do not make good bed fellows

on work as described by op , it is ideal. it gives the bonding more body , we have used this method for years without any problems.

surely on top of painted surface thats had pva there wont be much suction anyway,assuming your setting same day,but im a rookie by all accounts:)

there will not be any background suction, but as you know the moment the hardwall starts to have its initial set you can skim.the op described the staircase as huge, the largest that he has seen therefore you would be able to float out large areas before you turned back and skimmed

i know that you have been in the wars tonight, but i do not think that you are a rookie !

there will not be any background suction, but as you know the moment the hardwall starts to have its initial set you can skim.the op described the staircase as huge, the largest that he has seen therefore you would be able to float out large areas before you turned back and skimmed

Sorry Malc I can't see what mixing the two together would have advantages but it works for you so ill bow to your age and experience

Sorry Malc I can't see what mixing the two together would have advantages but it works for you so ill bow to your age and experience

bonding gives your skim no suction, it is also not the best material to use for floating out. by adding hardwall it improves material for both floating and setting, give it a try when the opportunity arrives.

pva + bonding and float all day skim it day after ,give bonding time to get suction if its a painted surface, never mixed hardwall with bonding or vice versa ,bonding is a bitch to skim same day as is most gear ,I like a bit of suction less chance of blebs appearing everywhere (personal choice):RpS_thumbup:

I would rekin theres more suction onto bonding than boards and no blebs on boards ??? We have been tryin to suss out what causes them , been floating out walls and skimming lately same day just been straightening up with the bonding ( wonky walls) but been going over the full lot to keep suction the same . Any one else have any ideas why it blebs ?? Got us puzzled lol

I would rekin theres more suction onto bonding than boards and no blebs on boards ??? We have been tryin to suss out what causes them , been floating out walls and skimming lately same day just been straightening up with the bonding ( wonky walls) but been going over the full lot to keep suction the same . Any one else have any ideas why it blebs ?? Got us puzzled lol
Trapped air in the scratch and little to no suction compared to the main bulk of wall that you are setting.

on boards there's no devil float marks different depths your working on, as superspread as said trapped air can cause it and if your background is green how do you use pressure to remove them?

Well if it was off the scratches surely the blebs would be in that shape ..... Air trapped is one idea like ....... What do U mean about gettin them out green etc , when its set trowel on edge mate not hard ? Jus wondered why they appear didnt notice ad rattled ur cage at the same time

@CTPlastering green as in soft background, scraping using edge is one way of doing it when set ,although its not my way of trowelling up, the shape your on about is air pushed into one area, and my cage isn't rattled bud @JamieMac blebs =blisters as you call them I suppose there will be numerous names depending were you live.

Last edited by a moderator:
when we do skim bonding, we wait till the bonding starts to change colour, skim, then let the skim hazel off ,do not trowel it to early.
or better still mix the bonding 50/50 with hardwall no blisters at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.