Has anyone ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

gooner59

Private Member
had to do really spot-on rendering using wooden screed-bars and plum bobs , and lining everything in with string lines ?? if so please tell us about this .

hope the chippy did a good job with the screed bars,, we've had some put up in the past that have been all over the show

@gooner59 i have used this method when building pools in Spain, but didn't bother with the wooden grounds

Last edited by a moderator:
Well we were taught to render a bit like this in collage years ago but instead of wood we weighted for bands of render to tighten-up , i suppose the wooden furring allows them to rule against it quicker ?, Kev these guys are south americans ,similar to Spaniards lol.....

I have done it many years ago and also internally for floated walls. the thing is when you do it this way everything else around it has to be absolutely spot on otherwise either the render, windows, doors etc etc look like a right bag of sheite. We had it specced on a job in the eighties. did it all Appros 5m high and 20m long in an exsisting building and the clerk of works came in looked a it then got the Architect in and it all got hacked off and done again but, so it was right to the eye and not to a plumb bob. If you have to do it price well for it cos it is time consuming and do it yourself ie do not let a joiner etc you do not know put the grounds in.

In the gd olden days u would work off the window frames etc and keep everything same distance off them etc , if joiners ****** up putting windows in etc ****** it all up lol

As an apprentice my Master Albert Bailey used a wooden straight edge with built in plumb bob and line. We did a few jobs where the walls had to be plumb for tiling so we stuck on dots in each corner and plumbed up then after setting use a string line to line up the other dots in line with the corners.

BG had a similar dot and dab kit for the early days of dot and dab.

Status
Not open for further replies.