harwall vs dot and dab

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

stiltwalker

hi guys i am new to this site , just wanted to see what people'sopinions are on dot and dab ?
i got to price a job to dot and dab /skim but i would rather do it in hardwall / skim as i find it much faster and not that much difference in price :RpS_unsure:

price it in hardwall and explain why you want to do it this way if they insist on dot and dab and it is viable to do it on this particular building then youll have to do that depends how much you want to work:RpS_thumbup:

think i will just give them a price on both prob not much in it buy the time you get board/stick compared to hardwall ..just i can hardwall much faster then i can stick and its alot on meters ..have to leave the choice to them dont want to not get it

Sell it to them that hardwall is much more durable, and will take up less room space than dot and dabbing.

The latter is a minor point but a surprisingly common want!

i do prefer to hardwall and set, but dot and dab covers a multitude of sins, with less cracking when different materials join, therefore less maintence

thanks for the advice guys ...well its got to be dot and dab then skim,,but the well hole inside and out with hardwall and skim as its a circle, would be a bugger to dab !

Sell it to them that hardwall is much more durable, and will take up less room space than dot and dabbing.

The latter is a minor point but a surprisingly common want!

The amount of times ive had customers go for an overskim rather than an overboard because they don't want to lose half an inch height is ridiculous

thanks for the advice guys ...well its got to be dot and dab then skim,,but the well hole inside and out with hardwall and skim as its a circle, would be a bugger to dab !

Just slice the back of the board every 50- 100mm depending on how tight the curve is and snap it to form the curve

its a big curve, with lots of door openings and it over 3 floors, from my experience with some brickies block work and and door frames its going to be better to hardwall it

The amount of times ive had customers go for an overskim rather than an overboard because they don't want to lose half an inch height is ridiculous
Ask them if the ceiling feels lower when they are wearing their slippers around the house.:RpS_thumbup:

its a big curve, with lots of door openings and it over 3 floors, from my experience with some brickies block work and and door frames its going to be better to hardwall it

may the force be with you young stilt walker.............:RpS_thumbup:

Give the client what he wants. You'll feel a lot better afterwards with a big wad of cash in your back pocket :RpS_biggrin:

do any of you lot find hardwall a bit smelly ?. last job i did with it the owner thought i'd hit a sewer pipe.

do any of you lot find hardwall a bit smelly ?. last job i did with it the owner thought i'd hit a sewer pipe.

Always mix up with clean water Tunna. If there's something brown and suspicious at the bottom of your mixing bucket, it's not necessarily old mix. If in doubt, follow your nose :RpS_thumbup:

Last edited:
just doing a lounge 6.3 x 4.6 mtrs,overboard ceiling,dot & dab walls insists on 9.5 boards cos the amount he will lose with of skim.

just doing a lounge 6.3 x 4.6 mtrs,overboard ceiling,dot & dab walls insists on 9.5 boards cos the amount he will lose with of skim.

Tell him his telly will look bigger because he'll be sitting closer to it :RpS_biggrin:

Will he only be doing one coat of paint on the walls as well :RpS_confused:. WTF.

its f***** madness int it ive had this sort of rubbish loads with customers...once had to overskim the most hideous artex ceiling as someone didnt want to loose the height!!!...after id done with 3 coats bet there was only about 6mm difference....and i even gave them the same price as an overboard due to extra hassle!!!!

and is it just me or are peps getting stranger and stranger every wk!!!!

zombie:RpS_scared:

ive almost given up explaining the right way to do things with people or the best way, i know they will just take the cheapest quote:RpS_cursing:

I did a job for this guy once, I was passing by his living room and he called me in to check out his new projector. I put on his 3D glasses and said "wow, that looks amazing". He didn't seem to be overly impressed and said "the problem is, my living room is small and this projector can only produce a 70 in image on that screen, I'm really tempted to change it for a better model which costs 3x more because it can project an 85 in image from the same distance". To which I replied, "I'm not trying to be funny mate, but why don't you just sit closer to the screen and save yourself a few grand?".

Status
Not open for further replies.