Hardwall soft and dusty after 3 days

Robb1e

Hi I'm new to plastering, been a decorator for 30 years.
I hired a plaster to do my home, he did my ceilings due to limited time.
I had 2 smallish walls and left to do in 2 rooms where plaster coat had fell off the walls and left old bonding.
He recommend I apply a coat of hardwall and fill out plaster over the top.
The original bonding was a dry powdery surface.
I applied pva to the surface and left for several days, then applied a coat of hardwall.
I mixed it like plaster applied with a trail and could not play with it to much after as it started to pull but got a level surface.
After 3 days now it is soft.
If I run my hand over the surface dust comes off and if I run my finger tip over it I can leave a mark, I've never used hardwall is it not meant to go hard?
Spoke to plasterer and he recommended i apply PVA and fill?
Many thanks for any future replys
Rob

Attachments

• VID_20180830_082414.mp4
    16.3 MB · Views: 310
You hired a plasterer so why the f**k are you trying to hardwall a wall?

Basically you wanted it as cheap as possible so offered to do all the prep, and f**k*d it up lol.

It’s a basic job tbh, as above might be simple solution to just have plasterer plaster it as something isn’t right

No I asked him to do it but he didn't have any hardwall on his van and not the time as he did it in the evenings after work.
He did 5 ceilings and for how much he was going to charge for walls was next to nothing.
I needed to get the job done and it was what he suggested.

I reckon you’ve not pva’d the wall enough to kill the suction and it’s pulled the hard wall in too fast

Thanks for reply
It did have a decent coat of pva
I picked up a blob of hardwall that fell on the floor when I did the wall and it is rock hard.
On the wall it was only 2-5mm, did I apply it thick enough to the wall?

Last edited:
think tiny tom spot on pal I was going to say look at bags for out of date stuff; but if bit on floor set ok then to much background suction the answer strip back to brickwork and get plasterer back

Thanks for reply
It did have a decent coat of pva
I picked up a blob of hardwall that fell on the floor when I did the wall and it is rock hard.
On the wall it was only 2-5mm, did I apply it thick enough to the wall?

if you read the instructions on the side of a bag of hardwall it states do NOT apply to pva.