Hardwall & Skim, labour rates..?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhys

Been to measure up a biggish internal job the other day at a holliday park and they want it hardwall and skim labour only (they're supplying all mats). Tbh we're used to domestic jobs, haven't had to work out a meterage job for a while so might be a bit out of touch with what the going rates are.
Roughly would you say £5.50/m would be about right for float and skim? Different areas will no doubt have different rates - just want to know if we're in the right ballpark.
Cheers folks.

We get £6.50m2, £3.50 for N/W and £1m2 for dubbing out which we know is a good price but its all in schools and gets painted in eggshell so it has to be spot on. Working with two guys from Nottingham recently and they said that £5.50 was there rate and the same if not less further north! Never really thought the price was lower up north but that's what they said.

Cheers folks, we've been told it'll be ready next week - not mentioned if they've got any other quotes in (some people are last minute in getting trades in, Jamie Oliver's restaurant in York being one '.. Oh sht, we need a plasterer and it opens in 2 weeks time!' lol). Didn't want to go in too cheep but at the same time don't want to price ourselves out of it as it'll see us upto xmas.

would be surprised if you lost it going direct any less than 7.50, that said though lot of cheap firms out there. sell yourself and the standard of work you will produce you should win the job. won one recently at 9 but it was a gamble

It's all new work on block, plenty of windows (it's a pool house) where they want doing is I expect the restaurant area plus entrance corridor and a few rooms.
One thing we've noticed is the door openings are a lot wider than the frames - the joiner fitted wood wedge into the blocks to fix to. Also there are large gaps above the frames which would want making up. All walls to 3m high IIRC about 300 odd meters in total (would have to look in our book to check, was too busy measuring each bit to remember total).

I'd go in at £8 and measure through all the openings for all the extra prep.

Yeah, measured straight across windows and doors as we reckon there's a good 1/2 day just beading up.

Going to sit down tomorrow afternoon after we've finished a patching job and work some figures out.

Lucky to have got £9.20 on the one I'm on. Recommendation though and wasn't pricing against anybody.

i'd go in at £7.50 m2 but i'd want paying for beads and reveals, £1.50 Linear for reveals & areas less than 300mm wide an £1.50 linear for beads works out more than measuring over area

Cheers folks, we've priced it at 7/m not including any making up round door casings (definitely needs some block/brickwork on top and filling down the sides of the casings) - looking at the meterage of one room that rate works out about right. There's no ceilings to do as they are all suspended afterwards.

What annoyed us when we went to view it was the old guy who showed us round said 'there's only a weeks work for a 2&1 gang'. Measuring it up were about right when we thought about a fortnight. Wouldn't be surprised if they're pushing to get the whole lot done for xmas. We asked about penalty clauses and they said there wasn't one. We didn't include a time for completion in the quote.

Just wait and see now..

What annoyed us when we went to view it was the old guy who showed us round said 'there's only a weeks work for a 2&1 gang'.

Oh yeah, that old chestnut. Heard that a few times myself. :rolleyes)

Did he go on to say that he'd done a load of plastering and would do it himself but didn't have the time these days. Or something along those lines?

pmsl no be didn't funnily enough but they seam to think they know how long a job takes even though they aren't tradesmen.

We've had that a lot of that before though or they knew a 'super-spread' that's now retired (probably from crippled joints).

Some of our customers have said they can do most things but can't plaster (because they've tried and made a right mess). Usually say we make it look so easy as well - usual response from me is 'well, I can make it look hard if you like?' :RpS_laugh:

We don't have a labourer, at £7/m for the area measured if it's completed in 10 days or under gives us a profit.

If you do it in ten days that gives you £210 a day between you, sod that for a game of soldiers.

Just bead it as you go and you've only got to do 60m2 a day between you

Aye, that's the plan. Don't know what hardwall is like to skim the next day so we thought float half a day and skim it in the afternoon (not used it before - used to browning or S&C) then bead up for the next day.

Up here we had to drop our rates to £100/day each and were still struggling to get work as there are folks undercutting us. One job we priced up our price was comparable to 2 other quotes a bloke got but someone went in at £400 under and got he job. Even the customer couldn't understand how they could do it but said he had to go with it. We've been told we are too cheap by some folks (southerners who've moved up) one customer gave us more than we asked. Others say we're too expensive and get someone cheaper. You can't win.

Up here we had to drop our rates to £100/day each and were still struggling to get work as there are folks undercutting us. One job we priced up our price was comparable to 2 other quotes a bloke got but someone went in at £400 under and got he job. Even the customer couldn't understand how they could do it but said he had to go with it. We've been told we are too cheap by some folks (southerners who've moved up) one customer gave us more than we asked. Others say we're too expensive and get someone cheaper. You can't win.

Probably Eastern European airline Plasterers, you never know yo might have to go put it all right, then charge the fool double

Probably Eastern European airline Plasterers, you never know yo might have to go put it all right, then charge the fool double

Known that before. Customers nearly in tears and not happy when we tell them we're busy and can't come and you get what you pay for.

We've seen some right messes that we've been asked to put right.

rhys, i go to york every year for a break, whats happening with that old warehouse down from the queens hotel at the bottom of the road next to the bridge,approx 2/3 years ago builders moved in but whenever i go back each year no further progress at all

rhys, i go to york every year for a break, whats happening with that old warehouse down from the queens hotel at the bottom of the road next to the bridge,approx 2/3 years ago builders moved in but whenever i go back each year no further progress at all

This one?

558F6C5E-405B-4A6B-B47F-B9B219F1DA20-4549-000005CAA5BB8332.jpg

The Bonding Warehouse (in recent floods)

It's still derelict, plans were recently proposed to turn it into craft shops. All the internal working are still in place and have a preservation order on them. Every plan to change it to flats etc was dismissed as developers want to strip them out.
It's changed hands several times.

thats the one rhys, sad to see it in this condition hopefully one day somebody will develop it,thanks hector

Status
Not open for further replies.