Hard decision to make

Members online

LTJ

I’m 18 coming to the end of my nvq 2 working with my old man ended my first year in college skimming tidy for someone new to the game and learning floating and rendering fairly quickly aswell, after that first year the old man got into airless and never gave me anymore experience on skim, now if I do any on a small foreigner im second guessing everything because I’m missing the experience I needed to continue, all our jobs are domestic so too small for airless to be effective for speed really, question is do I stick with him as he’s my dad or go elsewhere to get my experience up and sort myself out. Cheers for any help lads

Reactions: BJP
I’m 18 coming to the end of my nvq 2 working with my old man ended my first year in college skimming tidy for someone new to the game and learning floating and rendering fairly quickly aswell, after that first year the old man got into airless and never gave me anymore experience on skim, now if I do any on a small foreigner im second guessing everything because I’m missing the experience I needed to continue, all our jobs are domestic so too small for airless to be effective for speed really, question is do I stick with him as he’s my dad or go elsewhere to get my experience up and sort myself out. Cheers for any help lads

Madness...Surley your dad will help get you up to speed

maybe join another plaster firm for a while?
Cheers for the response mate, I asked my college tutor as I’d kept in touch with him and he suggested that but just to finish the nvq first, could be my best option because I don’t see airless as the best option for domestic on the scale we do and so I wouldn’t want to carry it on if he retired or anything

I'd stick with your old man continuity of work and all that and just carry on doing stuff on the side.

I'd stick with your old man continuity of work and all that and just carry on doing stuff on the side.
The airless work with him drives me nuts to be honest mate because I see that it could be done quicker skimming, I was tidy but slower when we were still skimming but by now I’d be quicker with the experience

Cheers for the response mate, I asked my college tutor as I’d kept in touch with him and he suggested that but just to finish the nvq first, could be my best option because I don’t see airless as the best option for domestic on the scale we do and so I wouldn’t want to carry it on if he retired or anything
Your tutor is spot on get the qualification and it'll help getting work with a firm if you feel things aren't working for you.

I’ve tried telling him for over a year mate that I need the experience and have done two skim jobs with him, he’s not interested in it

But surley he can see your shortfalls in the trade ans wants you to have a broad skilkset to set you up. What are you spraying airless on?

Your tutor is spot on get the qualification and it'll help getting work with a firm if you feel things aren't working for you.
Sorry if I’m going on mate but when I first started I was like a pig in s**t, did a big barn conversion curving reveals and external corners and couldn’t get enough of it, now we fall out because I say it could be quicker in skim but the airless just seems like a new toy to a kid with him, he doesn’t wanna put it down

But surley he can see your shortfalls in the trade ans wants you to have a broad skilkset to set you up. What are you spraying airless on?
Reskims mostly mate, with the level of prep you need for the job to be smart with it it hardly seems worth it on walls that are that uneven

The airless work with him drives me nuts to be honest mate because I see that it could be done quicker skimming, I was tidy but slower when we were still skimming but by now I’d be quicker with the experience
Sad your old man isn't interested, get nvq done and someone on here might be able help you out.

Reskims mostly mate, with the level of prep you need for the job to be smart with it it hardly seems worth it on walls that are that uneven

Tbf ive never used airlessbut hes probably fed up with the intesity of skimming we all started like you mate but its bloody hardwork in your 50s plus

Sad your old man isn't interested, get nvq done and someone on here might be able help you out.
Cheers for the suggestion mate(y)been pondering on whether to post this for a while, the conscience tells me to stay with him obviously but I just don’t see myself progressing like I was before

Tbf ive never used airlessbut hes probably fed up with the intesity of skimming we all started like you mate but its bloody hardwork in your 50s plus
I’ve tried thinking like that mate but by now I’d have taken the majority of the workload off of him, not all obviously but a fair amount, I’m a quick learner and not a lazy f**k*r like most my age, hardest jobs we do are hall stairs landings with us being domestic so it wouldn’t be like killing ourselves on site

Sorry if I’m going on mate but when I first started I was like a pig in s**t, did a big barn conversion curving reveals and external corners and couldn’t get enough of it, now we fall out because I say it could be quicker in skim but the airless just seems like a new toy to a kid with him, he doesn’t wanna put it down
It's a fair investment to go airless for domestic work, I would guess that if it doesn't work financially he'll lose the new toy feeling pretty quick.

get your nvq, get some experience for a couple of years, then pack in get a rucksack and travel the world
Paying my car insurance in October and can’t afford a mars bar after that never mind travelling anywhere:muyenojado:

It's a fair investment to go airless for domestic work, I would guess that if it doesn't work financially he'll lose the new toy feeling pretty quick.
He got in the april of my first year mate, still buying f**k**g dry lining accessories to go with it now

it is a problem for someone trying to learn the trade. i have often spent a couple of years screeding or EWI. A few years using self finishing plaster.
the best apprenticeship that you can get is with a large plastering contractor who will move an apprentice to work with different tradesmen and materials.

it is a problem for someone trying to learn the trade. i have often spent a couple of years screeding or EWI. A few years using self finishing plaster.
the best apprenticeship that you can get is with a large plastering contractor who will move an apprentice to work with different tradesmen and materials.
I was thinking that as one of the options, to be honest my short fall only seems to be on skimming because he does none meaning I don’t either

He got in the april of my first year mate, still buying f**k**g dry lining accessories to go with it now
Sounds like he's got some inspiration out of it, it's hard work this game. Also plastering has changed so much, at your age back in the day as 2/3 year apprentice you'd be expected to do what your tradesman does. It's just that back then the trade hadn't been pulled apart and simplified.

Sounds like he's got some inspiration out of it, it's hard work this game. Also plastering has changed so much, at your age back in the day as 2/3 year apprentice you'd be expected to do what your tradesman does. It's just that back then the trade hadn't been pulled apart and simplified.
Dulls my head a bit to be honest the airless does, sanding over uneven walls isn’t as simple as the YouTube videos make it look

Dulls my head a bit to be honest the airless does, sanding over uneven walls isn’t as simple as the YouTube videos make it look
On domestic it just sounds like a right faff, that's for high volume work on site.

Cheers for the suggestion mate(y)been pondering on whether to post this for a while, the conscience tells me to stay with him obviously but I just don’t see myself progressing like I was before
Have you told you old man that.