Handymen

Status
Not open for further replies.

user_removed

Is it just around here, or is there a sudden surge in handymen.

just seems to be over the last 3/4 years (I might be wrong) but loads springing up, some I see are doing pretty well.

I just can't help thinking about insurance, tools and knowledge.

jack of all, master of none springs to mind every time I see these guys, surely customers must ask themselves these same questions.

whats it like around the rest of country.

i subby for a guy who classes his self as a multi tradesman, all his work is bob on.. as for jack of all master of none not many people are willing to pay for a master these days..

i could do with a handy man iv got loads of silly little jobs need finishing. i hate little jobs.

There is a handy man who advertises in our local paper, done a couple of jobs for him but he is very rough, seems to keep busy though

we had a guy round here who called him self "hire a hubby" and drove around in a pink van. he even had a hubby number plate.
i bet he got laid alot:glare:

my neighbour is a self confessed handyman, says multi trade no job to small etc on his new transit van. I recon hes a shade older than me mid 30's wife drives a 20 grand audi a4 lives in a 350 grand ish house. as far as im aware its his only source of income, wife doesn't work.

he asked me last year to look at a small rendering job for him,a few streets away from us, the job was just a small ish retaing wall, I said 600 quid, his face was a picture when I told him, I arnt paying that etc, fair enough I said. long story short he tackled it himself and made an arse of it,[you can see it from the road] and had to pay some one else to do it. still makes me chuckle, the wally.

Lots here to, noticed more at end of recession.

If they charge for call out then by the hour they probably are doing well. Some are nationwide Franchises.

We got one round our end, happy chap who will do little jobs..blah blah fukin blah.. fuk him.. dodgy f**k*r ;s probably conning old people .... and thats my job...lol...

every time a factory closes there is another load of builders, maintence men appear.
there is a report in our local paper tonight ,that a print works is going to close at christmas but the workforce are using their redundancy money to retrain as plumbers and plasterers!

Not sure about the handyman but I do multi trade don't know how people keep in work these days only plastering, bricklaying etc boring any way doing just one thing.

every time a factory closes there is another load of builders, maintence men appear.
there is a report in our local paper tonight ,that a print works is going to close at christmas but the workforce are using their redundancy money to retrain as plumbers and plasterers!

What's a factory ?

Is it where northerners go during the day when the rest of us are grafting and then complain when they have to work 34 hrs and then go on strike and walk to Jarrow and we can't get our bins emptied in Londinium and then they come down here and try to steal our dole money and they talk funny so we don't know what language they're speaking.

Or or is that Newcastle ?

Load my way and there all cowboys .... ive seen them decorating with fence brushes, screwing coping stones on and much much worst .

I laugh like f**k .... one guy was at a house I was doing some ceilings.... his painting was the worst ive ever seen (he thought it was mint) - customer even said the same and ended up repainting it ....

Only reason no one complains to the council about him is cos he's cheap as chips - and it shows ... the sad thing is he actually thinks he's a tradesmen

Also a few ex coppers turning there hand to it and plumbing - saw them again on a job I was finishing - everything leaked they fitted, and he stepped through the ceiling below 2 times after taking the boards up - couldn't stop laughing .... hammered him for repairing that as well after he tried to palm it off on me ... his face when I asked who im billing ....

Its not just these self employed cowboys though, nearly every paper has job adverts in them from housing associations wanting "multi trades" they want to pay one man 10ish quid an hour to be a plasterer, plumber, tiler, decorater and carpenter, id like to see all that on a cscs card.

I have just been looking through the paper, in the advertising section.

Everybody does everything.

im not talking small building firms here, where 1 guy organises a plasterer or a plumber and does the a couple of trades himself, fair play to them.

im talking about the guys that work alone, that will take anything on, cutting grass, small plumbing jobs, little wiring jobs, tiling, plastering, bricklaying, laminate laying and even rubbish removal.

how would the insurance work on that if needed.

dont get me wrong, iv laid laminate, moved radiators, laid patios, hung doors etc etc but these were all at home, we probably all have, should I set up as a multi trader.

Is it where northerners go during the day when the rest of us are grafting and then complain when they have to work 34 hrs and then go on strike and walk to Jarrow and we can't get our bins emptied in Londinium and then they come down here and try to steal our dole money and they talk funny so we don't know what language they're speaking.

Or or is that Newcastle ?
:RpS_lol::RpS_lol::RpS_lol:

Ive got tiling etc on my adverts , i can tile and do most floors and bits and bobs got a pal if its a full bathroom , or complicated i just let him get on with it he is cock on aswell

Ive been in the game a long time and picked up a lot of skills to a good standard I take all work on but if ume not confident in making a good job of something ile find someone who can.

Status
Not open for further replies.