Hairline cracks

Members online

tcd

Hi guys
What would be an acceptable time given before a hairline crack or any cracks on overskim jobs, regardless of substrate becomes not our problem,done a bedroom in march of this year and got a call from customer saying that a crack has appeared on the ceiling, job in question was on a ceiling that had polyripple on it, it was scraped back, pva'd and two coated, surely after 9 months down the line I would have some sort of get out clause

I always tell people that you can never guarantee there won't be a couple of hairliners in a re skim. It's a decorating issue unless it proved to be anything bigger.

We boarded and skimmed a living room ceiling a few months back and she rang to say there's a crack down the width. Baffles me when it's boarded unless we actually missed a whole join with scrim but can't see that happening

Hi guys
What would be an acceptable time given before a hairline crack or any cracks on overskim jobs, regardless of substrate becomes not our problem,done a bedroom in march of this year and got a call from customer saying that a crack has appeared on the ceiling, job in question was on a ceiling that had polyripple on it, it was scraped back, pva'd and two coated, surely after 9 months down the line I would have some sort of get out clause
Tell them it's a decorator solution that's needed now , old ceilings can move fro varying reasons , 2/3 mm won't stop that movement ,basically you are only doing a job that's as good as the background allows

Reactions: tcd
I always tell people that you can never guarantee there won't be a couple of hairliners in a re skim. It's a decorating issue unless it proved to be anything bigger.

We boarded and skimmed a living room ceiling a few months back and she rang to say there's a crack down the width. Baffles me when it's boarded unless we actually missed a whole join with scrim but can't see that happening
Copied me

I only ever had one call back because of cracks... it was in a bungalow and the customer had done a loft conversion after I skimmed the lounge ceiling.... went and had a look and told the customer that the loft conversion had not helped... I got the job to reskim it again and a few other jobs and they were happy...

If a customer is compelled enough to call you I would suggest you give them the time of day to take a look and make a judgement on it, reputation can be lost very quickly

I only ever had one call back because of cracks... it was in a bungalow and the customer had done a loft conversion after I skimmed the lounge ceiling.... went and had a look and told the customer that the loft conversion had not helped... I got the job to reskim it again and a few other jobs and they were happy...

If a customer is compelled enough to call you I would suggest you give them the time of day to take a look and make a judgement on it, reputation can be lost very quickly
I have told I would pop in on Tuesday to have a look as you say reputation can make or brake you, I have had the odd hairline cracks on re-skims before but nearly always had the call back within a month and sorted them with no question

Hi guys
9 months mate! Ffs customers ehh, I feel your pain bud.

Reactions: tcd